Lobata nymphs/help sexing.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambystoma

Reaction score
I just received a pair of lobata nymphs, but unfortunately forgot which was which. I've read that the males really need to be slowed down, in order for them to be able to breed. I could use some help in identifying which is male/female. One of them also molted in transit and has been hand fed since. Seems to be doing pretty well, can ya guess which one it is?

Number 1:

Number 2:

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yep. I also say two males. I generally don't buy into the whole slowing the male down thing but I am keeping these guys too for the first time and my male is adult now while three females just molted to subadult. We'll see.

I must be really bad at this, but the last pic looks female to me :detective: ?? Now I have to go resex all my lobatas , I must be doing it wrong :(

Is it the shield size that gives it away? or what? I'm getting some of these guys soon so I'd appreciate any tips other than counting segments.

Ah, well I was really hoping it was female. The first male that molted funky ended up not making it. He was doing fine with hand feeding, but ended up going downhill after a few weeks.

Latest posts