Long lived mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malakyoma

Reaction score
Hey guys. Last little while I've been keeping an eye on my taumantis nymphs waiting for them to molt. its been a long time since they have and they're just not molting. I give them lots of food and water too. Makes me think maybe they just have long lives and develop slower.

Anyway this brought a thought into my head. I want to hear about your stories of long lived mantids. Whether its a species or an individual doesn't matter. Whether they lived a long time as an adult or they took forever to reach adult doesn't matter. I want to hear about it.

So please regale me with your tales of seemingly ridiculous mantis life spans.

One of my blueflash females lived either 420 or 425 days (can't remember which). She just lived suprisingly long! I don't know how, but she did

The oldest mantis I ever had was Gnarles, a Deroplatys lobata female who lived to be 18 months. That is an approximation, but she was in my care for a good sixteen months.

I had a Popa spurca female named Dryad that lived quite a long time, about seven months since I got her. She was already an adult when I got her, and she had been an adult for quite some time if I recall. There is no way to know if she reached an older age than Gnarles though.

Not a mantis, but the oldest bug I have is Nocturnal, a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach. She'll be three years old at the end of April.

Last edited by a moderator:
my idolo is at L6 for almost 3 months but that is probably because he has the idolo-no-molt-and-die thing that killed my other one

The oldest mantis I ever had was Gnarles, a Deroplatys lobata female who lived to be 18 months. That is an approximation, but she was in my care for a good sixteen months.

I had a Popa spurca female named Dryad that lived quite a long time, about seven months since I got her. She was already an adult when I got her, and she had been an adult for quite some time if I recall. There is no way to know if she reached an older age than Gnarles though.

Not a mantis, but the oldest bug I have is Nocturnal, a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach. She'll be three years old at the end of April.
Hissing cockroaches can live to 5 years old!

My last heterochaeta female lived one year and 7 and a half months before passing. Almost doubled the age of creobroter lol. She outlived the second to last for one month and a half

Wow!!!

I have an Iris oratoria that has laid 14 ooths. I don't know how many they are supposed to lay. I saved her as an adult from some tropical storms we were having in August. She lived in 110 degree weather, so that shortens her life span, but she was healthy enough to lay 14 ooths!!!

Latest posts