Long spiny flower mantis ootheca

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was shocked to see this ootheca couple of days ago when this female finally pop one about 3 weeks after mating. Here is the pic... almost 4-inches long :shock:

ooth1-1.jpg

OMG!! That is so thin, too!
THat's the standard "thickness" for a PW ooth. It is actually thicker than most of the PW ooth. The "extra" length of the ootheca makes it look thinnner but it is actually not. However, if you are comparing it with ootheca of Sphodromantis sp or Parasphendale sp, then PW ooth is thin.

Wow! How long are they usually?
2"

###### is it fertile?
she was mated so hopefully it is.

Nice one Yen. What was her diet?
Thanks. Fed her mainly blue bottles and house flies. But occasionaly bumble bees, moth, butterfly or damserfly caught in the park.

maybe the eggs are more spread out?

i wonder if her young would do the same...probably not though....

maybe the eggs are more spread out?i wonder if her young would do the same...probably not though....
Good question! wish i have the answer, but guess only the PW female knows why is she holding on all those eggs for a long time. Maybe she was hoping i could "upgrade" her to a 5-star suite but decided to lay this one after givign up hope, who knows :roll:

This female is from another female which laid a deformed looking ooth (that i never thought would hatch).

ooth1a.jpg

So far all the females from this generation hasn't laid a single deformed ooth, so i am glad they didn't "inherite" this trait