looking for new species can you help??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baskmantids

Reaction score
I had a group of spiny flower mantis i got from a dave im sure hes on this forum as well. Great shipping btw. I was hoping to raise into adulthood and then breed them. but once my girlfriend saw them and expressed to me that she would like to take over, and me having a soft spot for her. I let her keep them as i couldnt turn down the chance of sharing my new found hobby with the girl i love. Haha i know to much info but the point is now i have no mantis to enjoy and care for and would like to get a new species to work with and wanted to know what your favorites are and what you would recommend I am new to the species but not new to caring for Pets whether they be a mammal, reptile, or insects so I'm sure replicating the temps and humidity of a species natural habitat won't be a difficult task for me so please don't hesitate to recommend a species that may be a little bit difficult to Care for

im in california.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had nine different mantid species now and it depends on what you are looking for (large, small, exotic, companion, native species, easy to breed, etc) So here are some notes of a couple of the species I've had, I left several off the list as I haven't had much time with those species yet.

• Deadleaf mantis (Deroplatys lobata) - 2.75" (7cm) in max size. They are easy to hand tame and once out of their cups like to explore and don't want to be put back. No problems with molting. They like to do the swaying/wind dance whenever they are happy(?) especially when they are out of their habitats. Easy to feed fruit flies, houseflies, and crickets through various instars. Mine will track down and tackle crickets during feeding. One of my favorites.
  • Egyptian Pygmy mantis (Miomantis paykullii) - 1.77" (4.5cm) in max size. They have a rather unique alien looking head. I've had some problems with them molting. Due to their small size they can be fed Hydei fruit flies their whole life I've read, and you can easily keep several as a recommended habitat size is only 4"L x 4"W x 6"H.
  • Ghost mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa) - 1.96" (5cm) in max size. They have a great exotic look to them with the leaf lobe heads and legs. Very easy species to care for - great for beginners. I haven't had any problems with feeding or them molting.They enjoy eating anything I've fed them, except mealworms which mine want nothing to do with. They like to do the swaying/wind dance whenever they are happy or notice someone watching them. One of my favorites.
  • Carolina mantis (Stagmomantis carolina) - 2.36" (6 cm) in max size. A native species and can easily be located anywhere in the USA, and extra nymphs can be released locally too. It was the species that got me started in this hobby as I rescued one from the freezing winter weather. They easily eat anything I've given them, besides mealworms, and will do some swaying/wind dance when they go stalking after feeders. They have the typical mantis look that most people think of when they hear praying mantis.

• Deadleaf mantis (Deroplatys lobata) - 2.75" (7cm) in max size. They are easy to hand tame and once out of their cups like to explore and don't want to be put back. No problems with molting. They like to do the swaying/wind dance whenever they are happy(?) especially when they are out of their habitats. Easy to feed fruit flies, houseflies, and crickets through various instars. Mine will track down and tackle crickets during feeding. One of my favorites
thank you for the info. im going to look more into these mantids as they look nice

I started with ghosts. Parasphendale is also very easy to take care of. Stinks that you gave up the wahlbergii, they're my favorite species by far :)
I actually already have a group of nymphs that are l3-l4 that I'm raising to breed. :) they are a really attractive flower mantis and I like to see them shake there little butts when they walk or eat honey

creobroter are always my recommendation

prolific and small and cute and easy-what isnt to love? only drawback is they are short lived

an easy long life species is popa spurca-females can live 15 months as adults sometimes

Latest posts