Looking for some help with research

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devetaki9

Reaction score
So I have scoured the internet and cannot find any reference to how long it takes for food to pass through the mantis digestive system. I.E. For a human 6-8 hours just to get through the stomach and small intestine. Average of +\- 40 hours completely to waste production with there being some time discrepancies between men and women. Gentlemen you process faster *grin

My query is this. I would like to know if anyone would like to help me gather data on this process where it concerns mantises.

I know we all have very hectic lives but if you are interested in helping please let me know.

I am looking for data collection on different species, developmental stages and male/female.

I am currently working on specifics that I feel would give an accurate measure of this function.

My ultimate goal is to combine this with other data and try to establish pathways for possible medication usage(dosage vs processing time and benefit/toxicity) among other questions I am trying to answer.

Sorry if I sound crazy or like a total geek. Thank you in advance if anyone would like to participate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't realize it was you on FB. :stuart:

Let me know if any of these sound good:

Feeding rate and the structure of protein digestion and absorption in lepidopteran midguts
Insect herbivores can choose microclimates to achieve nutritional homeostasis
Effect of prior diet on consumption and digestion of prey and non-prey food by adults of the generalist predator Coleomegilla maculata
Changes in digestive rate of a predatory beetle over its larval stage: Implications for dietary breadth
Too much of a good thing: how insects cope with excess ions or toxins in the diet
Aspects of diet choice and digestion in the Dark-capped Bulbul Pycnonotus barbatus
A model of digestion modulation in grasshoppers
Diet composition and body size in insect herbivores: Why do small species prefer young leaves
Simulated digestion status of intact and exoskeletally-punctured insects and insect larvae: A spectroscopic investigation

You rock... Even though you didn't realize it was me on FB ^.< Rofl, good to know I can be anonymous *grin

Looks like I need a username and pw to access the papers, can I sign up for free , is there an annual fee? Do I have to be a student or alumni?

Looks like I need a username and pw to access the papers, can I sign up for free , is there an annual fee? Do I have to be a student or alumni?
You won't be able to. I didn't realize it posted them as links. It would cost you about $40 per paper! Just let me know.

Only thing related I found dealing with a mantis:

Macronutrient intake affects reproduction of a predatory insect

Rick I would definitely be interested in that paper, in the mean time I would still like to carry on with this little experiment, so if anyone is interested please let me know :)

Latest posts