Looks like there were closer to 175 babies born

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malnra

Reaction score
I transferred them all so I could clean out the hatching container. I counted about 60 dead, hard to tell since sometime it could have been 2 bodies, or what was left of 2.

I counted 110 live ones in the transfer, though I did have 3 fatalities due to my inexperience ...

nice.i had 82 hatch..after 2 days i septrated them all..i know i must be mad..but it was my 1st time so i wanted to do it this way.so far only 1 has died..it was the one that was born with 3 legs..so far i have 81 healthy nymphs..hopefully i dont get to many losses along the way..1 things for sure..where we got our ooths fomr the guy ian got them off knows his stuff.i was very pleased to have 82 nymphs form flowermantis ooth when yens getting just over 60.keep us updated bro

Last edited by a moderator:
Since i have quite a few of the heidi flys (those are the larger ones yes ??) i tossed a bunch in with them again (did it shortly after they were born) and again there sre some that are agressive enough to take them down.

I am using pinhead crickets at this time, but thought to toss in some of the flys since they would jsut die anyway.

The mantis that search the bottom of the tube get the best chance to eat with the crickets. Those are the ones I want to live, the seek and kill crew. The rest ... meh ... i will toss flys in on occasion, but at this time my stock of megalasters is too low to use, so they can eat crickets ... take a shot at the larger flys ... or starve.

I plan to use crickets because it is easier for potential owners to locate them. VERY few people would mess with flys I am betting.

Have you got any photos? Im interested to see nymphs and ootheca as i've got two seperate Cameroon ootheca on there way to me as i type.

The guy i bought them from (i presume you did too?) has differentiated four different types of 1st instar nymphs so far :D

Massive deaths hit the last week. The ones I seperated all lived. The ones in the bigger container mostly all died. It was over a 2 or 3 day period, they were dropping like .. like .. flies .. I only have 10 left.

At least 2 of the survivors have molted, but it does not look like the rest have.

We shall see how things go from here.

Massive deaths hit the last week. The ones I seperated all lived. The ones in the bigger container mostly all died. It was over a 2 or 3 day period, they were dropping like .. like .. flies .. I only have 10 left.At least 2 of the survivors have molted, but it does not look like the rest have.

We shall see how things go from here.
i know what u mean..im looking in my net cage and i see them knocking in to each other..cant be good for sheading.it makes me want to separate them but its alot of work,.

If my mantises were in that pinhead situation, the bottom ones would get eaten if they ventured to the top. <_< Mine are fierce little cannibals.

If my mantises were in that pinhead situation, the bottom ones would get eaten if they ventured to the top. <_< Mine are fierce little cannibals.
i saw that 2 babies catch a 3rd one at the same time... the 3rd was ripped in 2 pieces <_<

The second african molted last night into adult. I now have two mature females and no males. Oh well ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts