Loss of back leg function

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerHobo

Reaction score
Is this a fairly common issue during the molt to adulthood? My malaysian dead leaf fell and lost pretty much any meaningful grip her back legs (and extremely limited use of her front), but I thought that was largely because she remained in a bad position at the bottom of the cup while she hardened.

My only remaining ghost molted to adulthood last night, and he's currently hanging by his raptorial and front legs, with his abdomen and back legs just hanging behind him like he can't get a good grip with them. His wings don't look particularly good either, so I'm thinking he may be still unfolding and drying them.

His old exo is still hanging and looks perfect; all legs firmly anchored, no weird bends or anything, so it looks like the molt itself went well, but I didn't witness "the flip" to know if it went okay. If he did fall or something, he climbed himself back up to the top.

He's in a 32oz cup with about a half inch of coco fiber sub, tulle across the entire lid. I could see by his wing buds that he was close so he hasn't been disturbed 24hrs or so before the molt. His cup still has a bit water on the sides from the last spray, and the room is about 74f.

Hmm, sounds like he is just in a weird position, but it could be more. Can we see a pic?

- MantisGirl13

I actually stand correct. While he was hanging very similarly to my injured dead leaf (head against lid, raptorials and front walking legs hooked to lid, abdomen and rear legs dangling), he's fully on his lid now. His wings are gorgeous, but holy **** has he become sketchy. He's already taken flight once since I removed his lid before I got a picture, so I'm going to leave him be for the time being. I'll post a picture as soon as I can get him relaxed enough to do so.

My M. caffra males are both adults now. You can see them work their wings as I open the lids.

I'm expecting them to take flight on me any day now.

We don't have cats anymore, so who cares if they stretch their wings a bit? LoL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! Got him this time. Flight might be a strong word... he's more or less just bailing away from me and fluttering to the nearest surface.

FD5-C2069-E5-FF-489-B-A3-E7-479-D9-C5553-BC.jpg

Can he use his back legs normally now? He looks beautiful on the pic
Yes, he's climbing and walking normally now. I'm not sure why he was dangling those legs that way for so long after molting, unless it was solely to reinforce the understanding that I know nothing. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts