Lost its head!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acerbity

Reaction score
I have two adult female Texas Unicorns. One ate all the crickets I had dumped in, so the other decided to eat her!

She ate the head, arms, and two legs.

All that is left is the long thorax, a plump abdomen, and two legs.

The mantid has been alive for 3+ days now.

When I pick her up by the two remaining legs, she squeems and goes into a threat display with the wings.

I'm interested in seeing how long it survives with no head, as it was very well fed before this happened.

She isn't feeling any discomfort if she has no head, right?

That's why you don't keep mantids together, especially not hungry adult females. Interesting how they can live without a head for awhile.

That is really weird. It reminds of people who have lost a limb. Sometimes, even though the limb is not there, they can feel the presence of it, even have urges to scratch it :lol:

She'll live until she either starves or dehydrates to death, most likely the latter.

Many insects can live after they've been decapitated, thanks to the way their nervous system is set up.

I agree, a vid would be really neat. :p

The only way I could transfer my phone vid is to use a program with an awful watermark.

here is the bluray quality video: :rolleyes:

She's been alive for what, 8 days now? She'll probably go soon, if she hasn't already.

Most insects will last about a week after losing their head. Weird, considering how long they can go without eating, but I suppose the 'brain' they have controls some aspect of homeostasis, and the loss of that is what does them in. Now I need to look this up or it'll bother me. :rolleyes:

Please keep us updated, it's very interesting. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked last night, and I'm pretty sure there is no life left in her.

My last post where she was still kicking a little is how long she was alive, give or take, so I'd say 5 days.

Latest posts