Lost legs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgauss831

Reaction score
Somehow our budwing has lost both rear legs . We noticed one missing earlier this week, now the other this morning. How could this have happened? We feed him only fruit flies, nothing that could have harmed him. He's not showing much interest in eating. Any way to save him? Can't get pics uploaded.

Patty

johnny2.jpg

20170430_121203.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@pgauss831 Oh dear. Mantids will chew off any limb if there's something wrong with it. It looks like it's not even trying to stand up in the last picture. If it has become that lethargic then I would do the humane thing. You should check your enclosure for mold. 

. That might be the problem; I created a terrarium for him a few weeks ago. I thought it was awesome, but it has no ventilation and remains quite humid (visible moisture on sides). My husband will be heartbroken, this one is our first; he gave it to me for Valentine's day, at my request. Thank you for the diagnosis. 

Patty

Thanks to both of you. He's showing some interest in fruit flies, but he can't keep his balance when he tries to grab. We tried to hand feed, but that's not working.

Aww, I'm sorry. Usually when they're that little I keep them in a deli cup with paper towel and I make my own vented lid for enough ventilation. My very first mantis was killed my mold, it's a common mistake.

That's how he started out, then I made 3 terrariums, and put him in one of them. We both thought the moisture would be good for him (they can't get enough just from the bugs they eat, can they?). The other 2 are better ventilated, and the madagascan marbled mantids that live in them are much larger.

Patty

Misting once a day is enough for most. Usually any misting you do should disappear after a few minutes. If you're worried about them not drinking enough you can give water through an oral syringe.

Latest posts