Lost mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantid-Tim

Reaction score
So I wanted to see the board's opinion, how do I find a missing adult mantis capable of (mostly downward) flight. But pretty good flight.... So in a freak accident of nature, a hygrometer fell off the side of the cage, and knocked the door open! Imagine that. I never lock the Exo-Terra Nano (Tall) because it never seemed necessary, but when I noticed the door was open, she was gone! I checked all the usual places, but I've never lost a mantis for more than 5 minutes. I looked right where she escaped from, on top of the shelf, the highest point in the room, all around the curtains, etc.. I know its a weird question because you don't know my apartment, but what are general tips in searching for a mantis? (Also don't worry there are no predator pets such as a dog cat, I just fed her a day or so ago, so I just have to find her before she starves--but I'd like it to be tonight! So please, while I search, any good tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks thats what I'm doing. Is it likely that she will move around and find a high spot in the next day or so, or stay in one place? I know when I leave them out on my curtains overnight they climb to the top and stay there lol.

She is on the active side I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found her! She was on the curtain in the other room. My guess is she flew into there and crawled up the window to her usual spot. Thank for the help.

Outch, I hope you will find her soon.  When I was in hospital my hubby lost one of my mantids, but he never found him.

lost some myself too, but found them on strange places on my desk.

One time i accidentally didnt close my cage all the way and my mantis got out. I couldnt find it. Finally i found it dead on my windowsill with its molt skin on the curtain. It was perfectly molted so it looks like it molted, crawled around and then died of starvation. It had crawled on the other side of the curtain so it couldnt get out.

Yes sadly the mantis was smart enough to figure out how to get in the curtain but not smart enough to know how to get out.