Lowest acceptable temperatures?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewFR

Reaction score
I'm confused about the temperature recommendations for different mantis species. I know that lower temperatures will extend an insect's lifespan (lower metabolism), but temperatures too low will kill them. For a praying mantis, what is this threshold? If you have an apartment that is a bit colder, will there be any detrimental side-effects?

Right now I have two ghost mantises. One lives in a smallish enclosure with a heat lamp, where the temperatures go from 22-30C (72 to 86F). The other lives on my house plant, which has ambient temperatures of 17-21C (63 to 70F). Both are doing well and seem to behave the same.

Is the lower-than-recommended temperature detrimental to mantis health? Are the temperature recommendations for most species exaggerated? (I typically see people cite 20C/65F as an absolute lower limit)

The next mantis species I plan to (eventually) acquire is an Orchid, and I see people indicate a minimum of 26C/80F. Would an Orchid die in my ambient temperature of 17C/63F?

I myself buy only mantids who can live in room temperature that is on 21,5C. and they are doing fine. I think an orchid needs higher temps. I never had one.

An orchid mantis ( unless you are slowing down a male for breeding) would have real issue at 17c. It would have issues with metabolism and growth. However 26c is not the minimum temperature to keep an orchid and anything from 23-24c upwards would be fine. 

There are several ways to heat them. My method (which I understand is not available to everyone) is to place them inside of a heated vivarium. This works especially well if you have nymphs in large quantity. The second method is to use a lamp of low wattage like you are already doing with your ghost. 

Hope this helps!

Yes it does, thanks! 

If I get an orchid I'll set up a heat mat to keep the temperature up at night. 

Don’t use a heat lamp with mantids. They are know to short out and fry inverts. Also mantids go down to escape heat.
What Ghostie meant to say was don't use a heat MAT with mantids. Use a heat lamp instead. 

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts