Maggots

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGIGA

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
I have been feeding my mantises bluebottle maggots from Grubco that have not yet pupated. Is anything wrong with doing this? Like too much fat?

IMG_9391.JPG

I've done it with no issues. I like the flies better and I am sure they do too but it shouldn't hurt anything to do this until you get some flies out of them.

wouldn't flies mean more discarded parts, e.g. wings? with maggots, everything is eaten (so cleaner cage).

the only drawback though is possibly less nutritious content. i thought if i remember correctly that maggots do in fact have really high fat content?

mine have just had to have some pinkies (small maggots) as flies have been very unreliable

Remember an entomologist here told me some chemical changes occurred during metamorphosis of larvae into fly which turn a less nutrition food (larvae with higher moisture and fat content) into good food (higher protein). I only use mealworm or waxworm to feed mantis which has molted couple days earlier but only occassionaly and when i am running out of other food like flies or crickets. Is always better to try and feed your mantis anything close to their natural food if possible.

wouldn't flies mean more discarded parts, e.g. wings? with maggots, everything is eaten (so cleaner cage).
I was thinking exactly the same thing. They even eat what would be discarded (the to-be-pupae shell). But...

Remember an entomologist here told me some chemical changes occurred during metamorphosis of larvae into fly which turn a less nutrition food (larvae with higher moisture and fat content) into good food (higher protein).
This is what I was also thinking of. Maybe the mantis also turns the fat into protein?

Latest posts