Making sure Im prepared.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riegs22

Reaction score
Today I have bought some fruit fly's from petco.

I,ve made some of the masa mix from the guide (hope it works, great guide) and split the flies into two 32oz containers with screen lids (each has about 20-25 flies)

Ive cut and hot glued some screening so I have 10 spare containers.

I have collected sticks which I will microwave for a little to make sure nothing hazardous is in them from which I will secure in some 32oz containers (for the mantis nymphs.

I have one statilia parva ootheca which should be coming any day now.

I have read the forums and got so much useful information, everyone is awesome here.

I just wanted to make sure theres nothing big im forgetting or any useful information a first timer should know.

I will hope to see my ootheca hatch which then I will seperate depending on how many hatch into 32 oz containers. I will be keeping all the containers in a 10 gallon tank. This way I can just check the temperature/humidity of the inside of the tank rather than worry about each one seperatly.

I know fruit flys take around a week or so to start have a cycle go, so Im hoping I can get enough going by the time my ooth hatches.

But any other info that would help me out would be awesome!

sounds like you're on it! i cant really think of anything to add. hopefully the ootheca has a anothe couple of weeks to hatch so your cultures can get properly going, but youve mentioned that. also, when the ootheca hatches, leave it a day or two before introducing food (but you sound like youve done alot of reading up so have probably read that before). i cant think of much else to add :D good luck, let us know how it goes!

If you have not used the search feature give it a try.

Looks good! Such forethought! I flew by the seat of my pants when I started. Don't forget a misting bottle and maybe some type of substrate for maintaining humidity. I'm sure all will go well for you. :)

Thanks again. and I will use the search feature more, it ahs helped alot already.

Ok got a misting bottle (and some distilled water)

As for the moister substrate would an average dishwashing sponge be ok, or cotton balls? If not would the reptile moss found at pet stores be fine?

And finally, while making my lids Ive been hot gluing screens to them and it can get messy and looks like a kid glued it. If I were to use like a non toxic elmers glue stick to glue it would this be ok?

Thanks again and one day I hope Ill be posting some pics of all my little guys!

Glad you're getting ready. Keep on making more and more fruit fly cultures. You're going to need a lot because one/some just might go bad for no reason.

Yeah im hoping to get 4 32 oz containers working after the next 10 days. then just maintain 4 cultures,

I notice alot of poeple say mist your mantids with warm water. by that do they mean just room temperature or should I like micorwave it for a few seconds.

And the glue question if anyone knows. (basically does elmers glue or a glue stick work fine for screening my caps or do they have chemicals that would leak out)

Latest posts