Malaysia shield mantis vs Indonesia shield mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is still a long way to go but there is this one distinct difference between the currently available shield mantis and the one collected from Malaysia which i like to share here.

There is not dark band (see circle) in any of the Indonesia shield mantis

indoshield.jpg

and this is the one collected in Malaysia. All 9 nymphs collected have dark color band on it. this pic was taken while i was in Malaysia it has now molted into pre-sub or subadult and the band is more distinct now.

malaysiashield.jpg

Anyone currently keeping the shield mantis please help me check if there is a color band on your shield mantis. As far as i know the current shield mantis in distribution lack this color band and I just want to be sure it is not an isolated case. If the real Rh. basalis has color band on it I really doubt the current shield mantis in culture is Rh. basalis. I am sure there will be more differences noted once the batch collected in Malaysia grow into adult. Will add into this thread if i can find more.

The intensity of the band may vary. It's not a good indicator of specific difference.

The intensity of the band may vary. It's not a good indicator of specific difference.
Ah ok. Is it possible that the band dissappear all together but still within the same species? So far none of the Indonesia batch that i know of has any band on it, while the collected batch constantly has color band.

So what did u think of mine Yen? where did u think it from?
Looks like the one you have is similar to the batch i started back in 2007. i went back and check all the photos from that batch and none of them has the color band too. Not sure where you get them from but probably that's tha same batch Rebecca. Have you had a chance to look at other shield you got from other sources? Is that adult female on your pic? The shield appear to be slightly rounder too on the wild collected batch, will have to look closer when they turn adult. I am hoping all 9 nymphs there belongs to the same species i have 4 male and 5 female (yay!).

I have eight shields from your stock, Yen. The five adults are orange on the ventral surface of the thorax, with no black band, and the three subs are completely green.

What stage are yours Yen? I'd like to get these guys again. :)
I have some subadult and presubadult, they have all molted 2-3 times since collected in foothill of Cameron Highlands. Finger crossed that the batch breed another generation for me.
I have eight shields from your stock, Yen. The five adults are orange on the ventral surface of the thorax, with no black band, and the three subs are completely green.
Thanks Phil for the feedback. The current batch in the hobby does lack of the color band. I am keeping at least a pair of each batch for comparison in the future. Will let everyone know if i can find more.

The colors of green almost blue are stunning Yen. Let me know when they started a second generation.
That's right revmdn there are blue hue on the green for the collected batch while the Indonesia batch is predominantly green, good spot revmdn, would like to see the wing color on the adults.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the male collected in Malaysia molt into adult couple of day ago. He has molted at least 3 times since captured back in June 16! Following are couple of pics of the two adult shield mantis (male) next to each other. The original stock from Indonesia is on the right on first pic and left on the second pic. I received the Indonesia adult male shield mantis that appear to be slightly smaller than the usual one I kept, which probably makes the Malaysia shield appear to be larger and has rounder (wider) shield. There is also black color (at the edge) of the bottom of pronotum on Malaysia shield. THe black ring around the white spot on tegmina (front wing) also appear to be thicker with the Malaysia batch. The wing color on the Indonesia batch is jade green while the Malaysia batch is lighter with blue hue. I sent the pic to my friend Mr. Yeh and he thinks it might be Rh. basalis based on photo and location collected. Well maybe finally we have a real Rh. basalis. Hopefully....

pair1.jpg

pair2.jpg

I will have a better look at them when they die. But for now i hope the male live a little longer to mate with the female. Maybe there are more differences i will look for them when i have time. Right now it is back to mantis breeding for me.

I'm very interested in the comparison, Yen... thank you for showing the side-by-side pics! It also looks like the Maylasian male has a slightly longer, slimmer, and more "pointy" end on the tegmina, versus the Indonesian which seems to have a slightly shorter, wider, and more rounded tip.

beautiful pictures! So cool that you were able to find these.

I just ordered a Giant Shield from mantis place =) will be my first, well besides wild one I had when I was about 10

I still have pinned specimens from the original stock of Rhombodera that was lost to the hobby around 2006 (I had them for three generations). The Rhombodera was in stock was very different to the Indonesian stock that Yen brought in a few years ago; the pronotal shield is a different shape, infact, it was similar to the new one pictured above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts