Male/Female Ratio

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau874

Reaction score
Hi all - following up on my Creo project.  I have five mantid nymphs that I am trying to  get some ooth out of.  The last time I checked I thought I had three males and two females.  This morning I realized the actual ratio is four males and one female.  

Thankfully the female is the furthest developed of the bunch, the closest male is probably 1-2 weeks behind.  However she’s only L4 and my concern is that one bad molt or illness could ruin my plans.  What are your experiences with male/female ratios?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

For breeding I generally like having a ratio of 2-3 males per female with around 3 females for a breeding group depending on species. In my expierience it’s the males that tend to have molting problems into adulthood. Not sure if it’s the longer wings or antennae but that’s usually the case with me and they get stuck or they dry improperly. I like having more males than usual but if you have just the one female I’d keep a better eye on her.

I have never bred Creos, but I agree with Plaf94. Males tend to get stuck more easily and females are usually more hardy. Good luck on your breeding project!

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts