Male mantids: Disappointment or equally as fun as females?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolas

Reaction score
Wanted to propose some discussion on this topic:

We all know that male mantids live much less longer than females, are smaller than females, often fly around if you let them out of their enclosures, and behave a bit differently than females. For example, my adult male Chinese Mantis when I tried to put him back in his enclosure kept trying to attack my hand! He's really feisty and attacks anything.  With all of this in mind, would you guys say male mantids are equally as fun to keep as females (assuming you have no females)?  

Cool topic!

Personally, I would always release the male mantids because I felt like they needed to "fulfill" their purpose of breeding and let me female call in her own male when it was time. (I'm talking about the Chinese mantis) The only other male I've had was an orchid male and we all know how small those are!

As sub adults and earlier, males are just as fun and fierce as females, but I've noticed that once males reach adulthood, their focus just turns to mating.

So I guess my idea is I would just have males to keep the life cycle going but other than that, I'd rather have females. If I have a species I can't release, then I would try to find the male a home with someone who could mate him. Studying courting behaviors and mating could be cool too! Those are my thoughts.

Just as fun!

But like minomantis said they doo get a little fiesty around breeding time. Galaxy actually tried to chew on my hand at which I promptly gave him a cricket. I have mated him with one of my females which has calmed him down and he seems normal again. But sometimes its cool to see him fly. It would be a cool slo-mo video!

Cool topic!

Personally, I would always release the male mantids because I felt like they needed to "fulfill" their purpose of breeding and let me female call in her own male when it was time. (I'm talking about the Chinese mantis) The only other male I've had was an orchid male and we all know how small those are!

As sub adults and earlier, males are just as fun and fierce as females, but I've noticed that once males reach adulthood, their focus just turns to mating.

So I guess my idea is I would just have males to keep the life cycle going but other than that, I'd rather have females. If I have a species I can't release, then I would try to find the male a home with someone who could mate him. Studying courting behaviors and mating could be cool too! Those are my thoughts.
Chinese mantids aren't native to where I live, so I can't release my male. I ordered an African mantis and specifically told the breeder to make sure she sent me a female, but so much time has passed with waiting for the weather to cool a bit and apparently the female that I was supposed to get died in a mis-molt so I'm getting another male. :( And of course I can't release the African mantis out into the wild. 

And I don't know, even though my chinese mantis is an adult male, he eats anything and chases anything that I put in his enclosure. Guess they all have a personality!

But anyway, kind of bummed I couldn't get any females in the past 4 months despite being adamant about it, but eh, what can you do? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a wild caught male European. He was flighty when I first had him, but once he molted into an adult he got much more so. He doesn't sprint away from me now, but he does strike in defense much more often. And the last time I took him out of his enclosure he kept hopping and flying around so I decided to put him back. He is definitely more agitated as an adult.

I tried to put him back in his enclosure kept trying to attack my hand!
Bob (H. membranacea) was the same when he became an adult. I have serval times felt how strong his arms was with those tiny spikes. It was hard to take him off whitout hurting him. But my other male ( S. gastrica) didn't had that behaviour, but that one liked flying more. But short distances.

Hmm, that is interesting! I guess it is true, that mating cools them down and makes them a better pet. Good observation!

- MantisGirl13

Yeah, I really need males for S. gastrica and miomantis paykulii right now. I have several females and I can not find males for sale anywhere!

- MantisGirl13

Good I have a already a couple Hierodula patelliferas, so no need to to look for a female. my male can share is instincts with the female.?

Latest posts