Male to female ratio

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okoboji22

Reaction score
If you just got ten random nymphs of a common species like hierodula, how many would be male and how many would be female? 

If you were to buy 10 unsexed nymphs, there's no way you can know how many are going to be of each sex lol. You can only find out once they're sexable. And I don't believe any species produces higher percentages of one sex than of the other, it's rather random.

I would have to agree with Extrememantid; however, if you are simply wanting a educated guess from experience, my hatched nymphs tend to have more females by a slight margin. Perhaps somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-70% females and 30-50% males - or in your case of the random ten, that would be 5 to 7 females to 3 to 5 males. Of course this varies from hatch to hatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once bought 10 nymphs of hierodula blue and they were all female.

Then I bought 15 Rhombodera Stalli nymphs and they were all male. 

Really know way to tell what you are gonna get.

Generally half and half but you never know. Like if you toss 10 coins you are most likely to get around half heads, half tails, but more extreme ratios are also possible. 

Lol. More like upsetting spend 4 months getting them to sub just to not be able to breed them ?. I dont have any good fortune lol
Sounds like me, from my many adults I've only been able to breed 3 sets total I think it's been in about 2 years now. Either I'm stuck with only one of the species at breeding time, or all males or only females left.
faceslap.gif

Guess that is why many breeders say they keep 15 of each sex - but that is a lot of mouths to feed and room to house them.

Sounds like me, from my many adults I've only been able to breed 3 sets total I think it's been in about 2 years now. Either I'm stuck with only one of the species at breeding time, or all males or only females left.
faceslap.gif

Guess that is why many breeders say they keep 15 of each sex - but that is a lot of mouths to feed and room to house them.
Wow then that totals up to 30 just for one species!! I plan to keep about 5-9 of each species, and I thought that was plenty for breeding, since only one pair is needed for one ooth, but that was until I figured that ooths can't always be fertile even though they were mated. 

Lol. More like upsetting spend 4 months getting them to sub just to not be able to breed them ?. I dont have any good fortune lol
still can't imagine this. So crazy!!

Wow then that totals up to 30 just for one species!! I plan to keep about 5-9 of each species, and I thought that was plenty for breeding, since only one pair is needed for one ooth, but that was until I figured that ooths can't always be fertile even though they were mated. 

still can't imagine this. So crazy!!
Indeed it is, the number is high to ensure they have plenty of the species for a new generation themselves, and plenty to sell/trade back in the hobby. Typically those are some of the main breeders, while many tend to keep closer to about a dozen total, 6 per sex - as depending on the species, a single ooth has more than any one keeper would want to raise/keep themselves.

I actually collected in the early fall (2015) about 40 adult Chinese mantids (Tenodera sinensis) that I caught wild. I ended up selling the lot though in one deal, as they really put away the feeders (crickets and flies) and were eating me out of house and home. I kept a trio for myself though and ended up with a few ooths for this year. I have 21 ooths I collected/breed, except the Brunner's which I traded for (3 Brunner mantis (Brunneria borealis), 2 Chinese (Tenodera sinensis), 16 Carolina (Stagmomantis carolina)), so I should be keeping busy soon. ;) Sadly my Acromantis japonica ooths turned out infertile.

Indeed it is, the number is high to ensure they have plenty of the species for a new generation themselves, and plenty to sell/trade back in the hobby. Typically those are some of the main breeders, while many tend to keep closer to about a dozen total, 6 per sex - as depending on the species, a single ooth has more than any one keeper would want to raise/keep themselves.

I actually collected in the early fall (2015) about 40 adult Chinese mantids (Tenodera sinensis) that I caught wild. I ended up selling the lot though in one deal, as they really put away the feeders (crickets and flies) and were eating me out of house and home. I kept a trio for myself though and ended up with a few ooths for this year. I have 21 ooths I collected/breed, except the Brunner's which I traded for (3 Brunner mantis (Brunneria borealis), 2 Chinese (Tenodera sinensis), 16 Carolina (Stagmomantis carolina)), so I should be keeping busy soon. ;) Sadly my Acromantis japonica ooths turned out infertile.
Sorry to hear that Cosby. Good luck with your collection!

Latest posts