Mama Asian is very fat

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malnra

Reaction score
Sometimes her abdomen shows some redish or darker colors as it expands. Daddy mantis is checking her out, however he is hesitant to get near her. Maybe he knows he will be lunch.

I left them both in the half bath last night. I put in a branch (in a flowerpot) that had several off shoot limbs on it. This morning he was on the trash can on the floor, so I bet he jumped for his life.

I fed them both a cricket this morning, the male did not want it but I was insistant so he finally took it and began to eat. I dont need a hungry male jumping my female. She took hers with a vengence. It about knocked the hemostats out of my hand she hit the cricket so hard. No wonder the male did not get close to her.

I plan to leave them in the half bath today while I run errands. The way I see it ... he will either mate with her or she will eat him. If he gets eaten without mating I will order an ooth. If he mates, I will get an ooth.

I have had them both for about 3 weeks now and they were adults when they arrived. I dont know how long one should wait to try this, but 3 weeks (or more) after adult should be enough time in my limited knowledge.

He has PLENTY of room to escape her if he doesnt want to mate. It's not like they are in a small container where she can easily catch him.

I am also hoping she chooses to place her ooth on the little tree, so I dont have to cut any plastic off my cages.

Just thought I would comment on how things are going here in the quest for an ooth ... feel free to kibitz :D

Did you feed her a lot prior to matin'? I usually stuff my females full until they drop or reject food. They get real fat. :p It also ensures the males will not get eaten and she'll produce a nice, healthy ootheca.

If she lays in your cages, it's not necessary to cut any plastic off. After it's dry, take the ooth gently between your thumb and forefinger and gently wiggle the ooth back and forth until it comes off. I usually pry mine off lids and sides like this.

Good luck with mating them!

Did you feed her a lot prior to matin'? I usually stuff my females full until they drop or reject food. They get real fat. :p It also ensures the males will not get eaten and she'll produce a nice, healthy ootheca.If she lays in your cages, it's not necessary to cut any plastic off. After it's dry, take the ooth gently between your thumb and forefinger and gently wiggle the ooth back and forth until it comes off. I usually pry mine off lids and sides like this.

Good luck with mating them!
well they have not mated yet, unless he is a quickie type of male mantis. i will keep offering her crickets until she stops eating them, however she has yet to take more than 3 in a day, though i admit i dont try late in the evening as other things distract me. once she finishes this one i will offer a second one, then i have to run errands. the male can keep away from her if he wants to, so it's not like i am putting him in a death cage.

thanks for the reply as all information is useful to me as a noobie mantis owner.

They stay connected for several hours. Having her be in the process of eating as he approaches and mounts can be helpful but does not guarantee his safety. . This species does have red markings on the abdomen when they get fat.

:angry: :blink: :rolleyes: Ignore the faces, I just like em! They are ready to mate, but I gotta tell ya, no matter how much I fed this bunch of females, they all ate their man! :blink: One ate him before he even got on. She grabbed him and had him in such a cluch, she ate his head off... Now get This, after his whole head and neck was gone, he mounted and finished the job :eek: I am not kidding. So now if they eat the head, I just pick them up and place them on her and let them finish. Something errie about this, I am not really sure what though <_<

:angry: :blink: :rolleyes: Ignore the faces, I just like em! They are ready to mate, but I gotta tell ya, no matter how much I fed this bunch of females, they all ate their man! :blink: One ate him before he even got on. She grabbed him and had him in such a cluch, she ate his head off... Now get This, after his whole head and neck was gone, he mounted and finished the job :eek: I am not kidding. So now if they eat the head, I just pick them up and place them on her and let them finish. Something errie about this, I am not really sure what though <_<
I am at the point where they have to breed or one eats the other. If they are not going to breed I am going to get me an ooth and try my hand at from ooth to adult on some inexpensive species. If that is successful for me I will move on to a species I would like to breed. I would LOVE to get my hands on a Giant Malaysian Praying Mantis (Hierodula trimaculata) ooth, however it does not seem like there are any available listed on the internet. Guess it is just not a species people want.

I always found the h. mem to be very easy to breed.

I always found the h. mem to be very easy to breed.
I think my male is either not interested in females OR (more likely) afraid to die. He stares at her constantly. When I tried placing him almost on top of her using a piece of cardboard for him to hold onto he crept under her and hugged the branch.

It was not a good position for him as he could easily have been taken by her, so I blew on her to make her move from on top of him. He is still sitting abnout 4 inches behind her staring at her.

Wife is gone for the weekend, so they will stay in the downstairs half bath. There is a small "tree" in a flowerpot they have been on for a day and a half now. I pop in to see what if anything is happening, offer the female a cricket which she rarely takes after the first one in the morning. The male is mostly not interested in a cricket unless i stick it in his face until he gets mad, then he takes it and eats a little of it before dropping it.

They have until Monday to get busy, then it will be time to get an ooth and start from little ones.

Some males are more skittish than others, so I guess he is a skittish one.

If he sees her, how long does he stare at her? Does he ever lose interest in her and just walk away a little bit?

Whenever my males stare at my females, I blow on the female a bit to get her rocking and swaying so he notices her a bit more. I had that problem with my P. ocellata male on his second mating, but after 3 hours of blowing on the female and attempting to put him behind her he mounted.

Did you read my mating post? If so try that as those are giant asians in the pics.

Some males are more skittish than others, so I guess he is a skittish one. If he sees her, how long does he stare at her? Does he ever lose interest in her and just walk away a little bit?

Whenever my males stare at my females, I blow on the female a bit to get her rocking and swaying so he notices her a bit more. I had that problem with my P. ocellata male on his second mating, but after 3 hours of blowing on the female and attempting to put him behind her he mounted.
He never stops staring at her that I have noticed. I have not tried the make her move recently Rick, though I did try it one day. I have also gone so far as to almost put him on her back, that did not work.

Latest posts