Mandibles and sensing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have noticed my female Chinese will often move her mandibles as though chewing should a breeze pass through. She exhibits the same response if I blow or breathe on her. What is the purpose of these movements? Is she 'tasting' the air like a snake? Note: this gesture is frequently accompanied by waving antennae.

I have noticed my female Chinese will often move her mandibles as though chewing should a breeze pass through. She exhibits the same response if I blow or breathe on her. What is the purpose of these movements? Is she 'tasting' the air like a snake? Note: this gesture is frequently accompanied by waving antennae.
Yes and no.

No. The snake is "sniffing" the air with an olfactory Jacobson's organ (its flickering tongue is merely wafting the chemical laden air towards it's jacobson's organ in the roof of its mouth) first observed in humans (and long before Jacobson came across it in the early C19th). It is found only in terrestrial vertebrates and is referenced when a mammal makes the flehmen response to female sex pheromones. Insects do not possess this organ.

Yes. But, as you acutely observe, insects have a sense both of "taste" (water soluble, immediate chemicals) and "smell" (airborne, distant chemicals). In mantids, it is the former that detects the "taste" of noxious insects like stink bugs. I suspect that the sense pits are in the labium, but you might want to check that. It is the antennae that detect the "smell" of the females' "come hither" pheromones and in the case of your female, is obviously detecting something that interests her, maybe you, as a food provider (I nearly said "source of food," but that could be misconstrued). :D

I believe they can taste with both their mouths (the snake-like movements you described) and with their feet. Antennae are primarily for smelling (except in Hymenoptera, which can also use them to taste). Hearing is accomplished through some sort of organ on the back between the legs (and some species have two, I believe, according to a researcher who posted on the forums a while back IIRC). Sense of touch is through microscopic hairs all over the insect. I think you can figure out sight for yourself :p

It's not true of mantids. Perhaps your informant was referring to humans? :D
What!!! :lol:

I remember reading somewhere that females with full flying ability also possess an ear to detect high pitched sound.

Maybe someone with real knowledge could chime in. :)

Latest posts