Manduca sexta (Lots of Pics)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone

Reaction score
I have recently started breeding these to use as feeders for my critters. These are Manduca sexta (Goliath Hornworms)

The larvae stage.

005-5.jpg

003-8.jpg

001-6.jpg

Closeup of the classic horn.

006-2.jpg

Pupae.

007-5.jpg

Moths. They still managed to bang their wings up a bit in a large enclosure :(

007-7.jpg

006-3.jpg

Moths mating.

002-8.jpg

These pics aren't that good of quality, I appologize.

Eggs, and newly hatched larvae.

001-8.jpg

001-9.jpg

Very nice, Stone! ;) How long does their reproductive cycle take though? It seems like it might be a tad long for a feeder insect.... unless they are just a supplement, and you enjoy breeding/keeping them anyways. :)

Oh my goodness, aren't those tomato hornworms? When I was a kid, they were all over this one tomato plant that I was growing. They scared the ###### out of me and I wanted to destroy them all.

Very nice, Stone! ;) How long does their reproductive cycle take though? It seems like it might be a tad long for a feeder insect.... unless they are just a supplement, and you enjoy breeding/keeping them anyways. :)
From egg to final instar takes around 21 days on average. Then when they pupate, you can manipulate temps and daylight and trick them into emerging as moths within 4 weeks. You got it, I use them as a supplemental feeder and I do enjoy keeping and breeding them.

Forgot to ask, how do you feed the moths?
I usually use Petunias and sugar water for the moths to nectar from.

Oh my goodness, aren't those tomato hornworms? When I was a kid, they were all over this one tomato plant that I was growing. They scared the ###### out of me and I wanted to destroy them all.
Yes these are Tomato Hornworms.