Mantid Garden has Nymphs!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
It am glad to say I am rich in nymphs. Recently some friend game me an odd little nymph he found - it must be a euro or something because it seems oddly different than a limbata - has a longer butt.

Recently had 5 egyptian nymphs hatch from an unlikely looking ooth.

And today I found 7 s. limbata nymphs in the mantid garden within about 2 minutes! I am very excited about this since we placed 4 ooths in there during winter time - i guess they hatched or are hatching! Hopefully when we water the garden we dont kill them all.

Now if only we could borrow, trade or buy a ghost male we could mate my wifes adult ghost ladies!

Last edited by a moderator:
damn... I wish it was possible to do in Britain:) but I must tell yaa, if not the fact that there is no wild mantids in uk I wouldn't be keeping them:D

Last edited by a moderator:
It am glad to say I am rich in nymphs. Recently some friend game me an odd little nymph he found - it must be a euro or something because it seems oddly different than a limbata - has a longer butt.Recently had 5 egyptian nymphs hatch from an unlikely looking ooth.

And today I found 7 s. limbata nymphs in the mantid garden within about 2 minutes! I am very excited about this since we placed 4 ooths in there during winter time - i guess they hatched or are hatching! Hopefully when we water the garden we dont kill them all.

Now if only we could borrow, trade or buy a ghost male we could mate my wifes adult ghost ladies!
I have never hatched any nymphs before but I have three egg cases that I ordered for garden use out doors. I live in Madison Wisconsin and I don't know what the hatching temps are. Should I just place them outside and let them hatch when they are ready or should I keep them in the basement were it is cool until the outdoor temps warm up and the night time temps get higher. I don't want to let them get to cool. the temp last night was about 50. I want to keep a few indoors after they get alittle bigger outdoors is this a good plan?

I have never hatched any nymphs before but I have three egg cases that I ordered for garden use out doors. I live in Madison Wisconsin and I don't know what the hatching temps are. Should I just place them outside and let them hatch when they are ready or should I keep them in the basement were it is cool until the outdoor temps warm up and the night time temps get higher. I don't want to let them get to cool. the temp last night was about 50. I want to keep a few indoors after they get alittle bigger outdoors is this a good plan?
Hang them in your garden. Chinese are used to the cooler temps and occur naturally in areas with the cooler nights. Low to mid 70's will see them starting to hatch, and then there may be hundreds of them. The die off rate for Chinese is high, seeing only a couple of percent survive is not uncommon.

Let us know if any adults are found this fall.

Latest posts