Mantid Importation and Transportation- Legal?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samak

Reaction score
In the USA is it legal to get mantids from other countries or not? Are'nt there are already orchid mantids and african mantids (and many other non-native species) in the USA being kept as pets? Would it disrupt the environment if they got loose into certain areas and started competing with other species?

In Europe it is legal to transport Empusa or Ameles and African from other countries but not Mantis religiosa and in USA should be the same.

The above document is related to domestic transportation of species. When I talked to Wayne Wehling, who is over Entomology for USDA's APHIS, in 2002 he said that it is completely illegal to import mantids. Strangely, he also noted that you can import just about any spider into the U.S. :?

Perhaps things have changed, but I do want to stress the importance of stating facts and not hearsay. I just want to set the record straight- if you want to import legally into the U.S. from another country you should really check with APHIS or submit a request using the form http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/forms/ppqform526.pdf and see what happens. If someone goes through the trouble to actually contact APHIS and ask them, please let us know.