Mantid Noises

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serle

Reaction score
Question , has anyone in the forum heard a mantid make any call out pain response or danger warning ?  I was closing the lid on one of my mantid apartments and I clipped ones  rear leg , she jerked it back and I distinctly heard a squeal type of noise . Never had I heard or even thought that mantids had the lung capacity to create any type of audible call . A corroboration or contradiction would be interesting to hear ............. thnkz in advance .. Serle

Maybe it was the sound of the exoskeleton or the lid? Or maybe they scratched against each other? It could also be a freak coincidence and some bird nearby squawked. It's interesting though. I've done that with my mantids many times, but I never heard them squeak. 

I'm sorry about your mantis! The only sound I hear my largest mantis make is a satisfied crunching when eating bugs but that's about it  ;)

It was probably her legs scratching or sliding along the side of the container. As far as I know, mantises don't have the ability to make squeaks or noises. But it could be possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was several years ago, so I dont know how much its true, but I remember I had a majuscula mismolt, and as i picked it up, it made these very quiet chirping noises. I'd need to do much more on mantid uncomfortability and sensation to see if such a response is actually possible. 

I've looked/listened to it from these angles and know that it may be hard to believe tho I am sure the ''light'' squeal was made by this L6 Blepharopsis ............... keep listening , I will ..........  S

Mantids don't communicate via sound, at least not on purpose, that we know of. They don't have ears, as we think of them.

Some mantids have a cyclopic ear (single ear) on their bellies that allows them to detect ultrasonic sounds. Researchers have shown that mantids use this ear to avoid bats at night -- when they are flying and detect a bat's echolocation they drop out of the sky to avoid predation.

My guess is that it was a leg on plastic. Good observation!

Latest posts