Mantid not eating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin

Reaction score
My Mantis hasn't eaten in 3 days I'm just wondering if this is normal? He has eaten every day before for the first 4 days i have had him. I think i read some where that this could be normal before a molt but I haven't seen him molt yet so i really don't know what to expect. Other then not eating he is acting normal. Thanks for any help

Ditto
tongue.gif

just try to mist the enclosure twice a day to help your nymph having an easier molt. and once he/she starts to molt... it takes about one or two hours (not sure the time but it is not more than 2 hours I think), but they don´t eat as soon as they finish molting, you have to wait a day or so.

Can anyone tell me how long his molt should take? Like will it be a couple day thing or a couple hours?
It will be more like a couple of hours for the actual molting. Depending on the instar it might take a couple of more days before it actually starts. Just remember to keep it misted and don't disturb it during or right after the molt. It is most vulnerable right after it molts. Not disturbing it means not picking up the container etc. for a day. Also wait at least a day before trying to feed it again after it molts.

Good luck!

Mikey

Hello, austin,

what a kind of mantid do you have? Perhaps, it need a higher temperature?

Mantids are eating more if it´s warmer.

Ritchie

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Chinese the temp he's at is around 75. which is colder then he would be in the wild right now but i wouldn't think 75 would be to cold but i don't know.

Hello, austin,

okay, I think you mean with "a Chinese" the Tenodera sinensis. I had last year some of them and keep they at 82-86F.

Is your "Chinese" adult or a nymph?

Ritchie

Ok so it's been 5 days now and I'm starting to worry a little. Is this still normal? He hasn't really moved that last 2 days. Should I just mist him and leave him alone otherwise?

What happened Phil, :unsure: I always look forward to reading your posts. :smarty:
I don't know what yr problem is, likebugs, it simply says..... oh, I see what you mean. :D It's probably a mistake to write about British cavalry uniforms in India and mantids at the same time.

What I think I was trying to say was that Jeff Willis's beautifully sculpted 90mm captain of Probyn's Horse (JW9043) seems to conflate Lt. Col. Frank Wilson's figures of the 11th and 12th Bengal cavalry in Tradition, 51 (check it out and see what you think). He also has a center slit in the kurta, instead of the correct side slits, the red facing and gold lace on the collar are reversed, and he has unaccountably given a British officer a red pag worn only by Sikhs.

Thanks for prompting me to clear that up.

I don't know what yr problem is, likebugs, it simply says..... oh, I see what you mean. :D It's probably a mistake to write about British cavalry uniforms in India and mantids at the same time.

What I think I was trying to say was that Jeff Willis's beautifully sculpted 90mm captain of Probyn's Horse (JW9043) seems to conflate Lt. Col. Frank Wilson's figures of the 11th and 12th Bengal cavalry in Tradition, 51 (check it out and see what you think). He also has a center slit in the kurta, instead of the correct side slits, the red facing and gold lace on the collar are reversed, and he has unaccountably given a British officer a red pag worn only by Sikhs.

Thanks for prompting me to clear that up.
:lol:

What "I" think he meant to say is just be patient and keep it misted. When nearing the adult molting I've often seen them go 5-7 days without wanting to eat before the molt.

Mikey

Latest posts