mantid ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterock44

Reaction score
i tried asking this on another forum, but got no responses. since this forum is specifically for mantids ill ask here. so the other day i found a nice little brown form Mantis religiosa and brought it inside to observe for a few days. well it laid a nice size little ooth. my question is do i have to winter it outside then warm it up come springtime, or can i just leave it in my T room with occasional mistings till it hatches? any help would be appreciated.

pete

You can let it incubate inside... It will probably take quicker this way though so make sure you have a food supply that you can access for the cold season when grasshoppers and such aren't too common.

leaving it inside it should hatch in about 4 weeks if kept around 83F

sweet, my t/scorp/centi/snake/now mantid room is set at 80. the ma is still doing good and eating like a champ (cute lil bugger). so just a daily misting should pop the babies out eh. i live in south eastern washington so its very very dry here. never knew mantids were so interesting, there are some really cool ones. too bad the only thing i can find are religiosa. the one i found is rather small compaired to ones i have seen here, they grow em big round here. thanks for the info guys.

pete

Well if you are interested in exotics check out the for sale/wanted forum and mantisplace.com and mantispets.com .

i tried asking this on another forum, but got no responses. since this forum is specifically for mantids ill ask here. so the other day i found a nice little brown form Mantis religiosa and brought it inside to observe for a few days. well it laid a nice size little ooth. my question is do i have to winter it outside then warm it up come springtime, or can i just leave it in my T room with occasional mistings till it hatches? any help would be appreciated.

pete
If it is a M. Religiosa it will need to go through diapause (be subjected to cold temps for 12-16+ weeks. There are many techniques for hanging the Oothecae which you can Google such as running a sewing string through the very end. I would place it in an area that is exposed to the outdoor elements, but not directly in the sunlight. There are folks that simply place them in the refrigerator for a couple of months, but you may want to read up on that. It's my understanding that there are few thing you'll need to do to ensure the Ooth doesn't dry out in the fridge.

Best of luck.....

Latest posts