Mantid scared of living food

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Krissim Klaw - I will call Petsmart.... but do you know if flying insects can be bought? I won't feed him tonite, no wonder I had kids that were fat babies! Is this stuff you learned in a book, or is this more a "watch & learn" hobby?
I don't know of any larger chain pet stores that carry flying insects, but you can order flies from a number of online sites such as Mantisplace.com. In the meantime I would try feeding smaller crickets than you have been currently offering.You can learn a lot of info and tips in the forums on care, but you will also find that you will pick up a lot over time by simply keeping the mantises.

I don't know of any larger chain pet stores that carry flying insects, but you can order flies from a number of online sites such as Mantisplace.com. In the meantime I would try feeding smaller crickets than you have been currently offering.

You can learn a lot of info and tips in the forums on care, but you will also find that you will pick up a lot over time by simply keeping the mantises.
You are right, there are no local pet stores to me that sell flies, and I hate spending money on something that in just a few weeks I'm going to be shooing away! I do have some crickets that I'll try! Thanks!

4th day - no eating. :(
How big is your mantis, and how big is the food? It might be too large for him, or maybe too small. If he still does not eat, you can just injure the crickets (pull off a few legs), and hope the slower movement will give him the courage to go for it.

How big is your mantis, and how big is the food? It might be too large for him, or maybe too small. If he still does not eat, you can just injure the crickets (pull off a few legs), and hope the slower movement will give him the courage to go for it.
Ok, now I'm bordering on real concern. No movement with the live cricket at all. infact I actually measured both to get your input - mantid is 1.5", and cricket was 1/4". The cricket has died, so i gave a mealworm (that i decapitated) and he only ate a few bites. Now i think we are BOTH depressed!! I put out a container last night of sugar & water to see if i can catch any flying things.... have to check it this morning. But like you said in your last post (about it being cold in Michigan), it's cold here in PA too. Thanks for your response.

His food is about the perfect size for him. The size of the crickets shouldn't be the problem, then. Maybe you should just keep babying him. If he'll still eat when you kill it and offer it to him, then just keep doing that. Personally, I like to hand feed my mantids. I get to take them out and bond with them for a while. :)

His food is about the perfect size for him. The size of the crickets shouldn't be the problem, then. Maybe you should just keep babying him. If he'll still eat when you kill it and offer it to him, then just keep doing that. Personally, I like to hand feed my mantids. I get to take them out and bond with them for a while. :)
You always know the right thing to say! :) Well, I'm going to keep trying .... I won't feed him tonite, but I'll wait until tomorrow and try to slow down a cricket. And when it gets warmer outside (some areas around here are forecasting 10" of snow tonite!) I'll get some flying creatures to see what he thinks!

He did it! He ate his first crawling, living, breathing, not decapitated cricket in over 2 months! Thanks for everyone's input & encouragement!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: Hooray!! I'm so happy for you and your little guy! By the way, does he have a name yet?
Thanks Deby!!! You were especially helpful!!! I named him when the rest of his peers didn't make it... his name is Hans Solo, since he was the only one left (plus I like sci-fi and he would fit right in there!). I remember reading that you had a Chinese mantid and he turned brown, well, mine is doing the exact same thing. Next project is creating a larger container. This is a hobby that keeps growing, doesn't it??

You're welcome! It's just in my nature to want to help people and all living creatures. :) Not sure how helpful I can be with finding a bigger container. I have the same dilemma myself, right now.

Latest posts