mantid thought?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobericc

Reaction score
So obviously mantids are thinking creatures that mostly act on its basic instincts, but there are obviously layers to its "personality" like how some species behave differently.

How deep is a mantids thought process, is it possible they possess something like imagination? Obviously not as comprehensive as something like a mammal.they are able to recognize food and other mantids instantly, i notice in my hands sometimes a mantis will lock eyes and even when you move the mantis around its head will move with you. What are eveyones thoughts on a thinking mantis

Well mantises are one of the smartest insects. You can tell that just by their varying personalities alone. Every mantis i have had acts differently. I have noticed that mantises seem very interested in our eyes and my mantises will always crawl up my arm to my eyes to get a better view of them XD.

It seems like they are crawling to ur eyes but they are just trying to reach the highest point possible

then why are they constantly looking at my eyes. also whenever i move my eyes the mantises sway back and forth looking at my eyes.

I know they see the motion of your eyes. But eyes in Nature are scary. My valida did a threat pose when she saw my eyes up close. Then, she struck out at my eye! I wasnt hurt.

Yes they are smart, but my H. Multispina isnt very bright! She kept jumping from the arm of my chair onto an empty paper cup next to my chair! Three times! Every time down she and the cup went to the floor! I love you my green girl, but you are not as smart as most mantids!

I think they think about things.

I believe they have the most basic thought process, but they do have what seems to be a personality to them. All of mine act differently and prefer different things.

Two things i know for sure all my mantis want ...Food and Freedom. As soon as i open the lid or cage door or whatever opening their enclosure has out they come ! Sometimes the pretiosa face the bottom of the deli cup because they know thats where the hydei are going to land when i pour them in ; )

They're probably pretty primitive and/or instinctual, but I do find it interesting how some specimens will be extremely skittish and defensive while others are very laid back and placid. And how they don't seem to consider us as threats like most invertebrates would. Definitely a good discussion!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts