Mantids in New Zealand?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Empiu

Reaction score
Hi!

Could anybody tell me what species of mantids live in New Zealand? Exept Orthodera novaezealandiae?

Hmm New Zealand is not really part of South-East Asia (where the D.Dessicata, Lobata and Truncata are abundant). Australia is closer to S.E. Asia than New Zealand is. Plus I don't think the climate there is tropical.

So if Deroplatys don't live in New Zealand, what species do? I think that there is only 1 species ;)

Of the two species only the New Zealand Mantis (Orthodera novaezealandiae) is the only native one to New Zealand. The other mentioned species is in a fact an invasive species that is decimating the native population.

I have six oothecae of the New Zealand Mantis. I am currently trying to hatch them out. I put three of them in the refridgerator for a couple of months to see if they need a "winter" period like my Chinese Mantids need.

Any suggestions with this?

Tom

Well my boyfriend has family in New Zealand and I asked him if he could encourage his uncle to go to the forest, park or meadow and find some oothecas ;)

I hope that the New Zealand mantids are not endagered and taking ooths from nature is not against the law.

Newzealand has very strict export and import regulations, be careful with that and perhaps speak to customs first

Latest posts