Mantids in the future?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadunka888

Reaction score
How do you imagine mantids to look like in the near future( 5-10 million yrs)?

Maybe there will be:

A mantis that can deliver electric shock through its forearms

A giant mantis that eats bats( lol, revenge!)

Hive mantis! ( mantis that lives in big colonies)

They will look exactly the same like now. Of course it is quite possible that there will be some massive, 30 cm long species able to hunt on lizards and bats (it could easily happend on isolated island, where is no predatory vertebrates), but some species what live today also can do it (for example Plistospilota).

Mantises are so specialized that i can't see reason why they could change their life style. I think they don't need any venom or electric weapons, and with their hunting method, cooperation would be more disturbing to them than helping.

The strangest mantis descendant i could imagine is the herbivorous mantis (well, there is one species of herbivorous spider) or underwater species (it could be very simmilar to bug Ranatra linearis).

But I think, if you could hold in hand mantis species from 100 millions years the future, you would not remark, that it is not exotic species, what live today somewhere in inaccessible jungle.

Humans will have done destroyed this place long before then.

well depends on which future your talking about and would it be with or without the armegeddon that is suppose to happen!

Unless something drastic changes our atmosphere, they're not going to get much bigger than they are already, either. Giant insects did exist millions of years ago, but the concentration of oxygen in the atmosphere was much greater then.

They'll probably stay pretty close to where they are now. There'd be some new species, and some will have died out, but overall they'd be pretty much the same. Just like sharks.

Mantids of the future will be essentially the same as nw except for the tiny marks on the pronotum like this: "M 3/7 :) " This signifies that that particular specimen is at L3 with four more molts. The smiley face means that it is happy, :angry: means sad or angry, and [SIZE=14pt]O[/SIZE] means that he just lost his head. Ooths will have a small area that looks like an odometer and counts down the days until hatching. That should take a lot of the guesswork out of mantis keeping, and I'm glad that I shall be long gone before it comes to pass.

Ooths will have a small area that looks like an odometer and counts down the days until hatching.
And if you you have it in a 75* room it would display "25". Move it to 60* outside, and it would jump to "42" :lol:

Shorten the days and it would show "D". :) Too cold to survive, flashing "^"

If they survive they will probaly evolve back into cockroaches

If not, they will probally start to turn into a greyinsh color to blend in with citys and will live shorter lifespands because the pollution will kill them anyways. (Same reason wood lice can live in poluted places). They might even eat garbage.

Humans might genetically modify them so who knows?

If humans would dissappear, remnants of the cities will turn back into forests in only 200 years. Nature wouldn't need big changes.

However there is one species of mosquito, what lives only in London subway. It is mostly transparent and it's favourite food is of course human blood.

If humans would dissappear, remnants of the cities will turn back into forests in only 200 years. Nature wouldn't need big changes.However there is one species of mosquito, what lives only in London subway. It is mostly transparent and it's favourite food is of course human blood.
Then this species of mosq. better hope human don't dissappear :lol:

Humans will have done destroyed this place long before then.
Pretty much :/

well depends on which future your talking about and would it be with or without the armegeddon that is suppose to happen!
That armageddon thing a load of bull.

I do believe mantid won't chance so much.

Insects don't chance much in general.

Roaches and dragonflies for example have been the same for millions of years.

But perhaps they have to evolve a bit so they can fit into grasslands as most forests will be cut down by then.