Mantids in Winter Months?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fortran42

Reaction score
Just was wondering...based on the idea that ooths could be forced to incubate/hatch at staggered times..Do any of you all keep mantids thru the winter months(USA winter months that is)...?? Obviously it is not winter everywhere at the same time in the world..so i guess you could keep them year round?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments..Currently have H. Parviceps, H. Multispinia and they are all doing well at this time.

I guess what I really want to know is: Are nymphs(Any Varieties) & feeder insects available during the months of say November-February??

Hparviceps.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Temperate species do live longer in captivity but rarely live past one year cycle. For species living near Mexico border it is possible to live past a full year.

I let mines hatch outside with the warming of the weather. After they reach adulthood in summer, I try to keep them as long as possible to squeeze as many ooths that I can get. So yes, my mantids are kept through the winter months.

Latest posts