Mantids that nobody has

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nirotorin

Reaction score
What are the mantid species out their that nobody has, but everyone wants? There's bound to be a few awesome ones out there that aren't being kept.

I agree with Sticky. Both Toxodera and Paratoxtodera are hard to find, keep/breed in captivity and I don't think they will be available in the hobby anytime soon.

No one has kept a Toxodera in captivity for more than four months. Other than Toxoderidae, there are many other species and genus' that no one has.

Brancsikia, Majangella, Pogonogaster, Stenophylla, Blepharodes, Majanga, Parablepharis, Citharomantis, Rivetina(?), Amorphoscelis, Ameles, Ceratocrania and Ischnomantis to name a few

Last edited by a moderator:
No one has kept a Toxodera in captivity for more than four months. Other than Toxoderidae, there are many other species and genus' that no one has.

Brancsikia, Majangella, Pogonogaster, Stenophylla, Blepharodes, Majanga, Parablepharis, Citharomantis, Rivetina(?), Amorphoscelis, Ameles, Ceratocrania and Ischnomantis to name a few
Amorphoscelis certainly was bred by Chinese enthusiasts, as well as by jeffx on UKMF. Out of Toxoderidae, Cheddikulama straminea was in the culture at least two years ago. I don't know about Parablepharis, Ceratocrania and Brancsikia as the pictures of nymphs came up now and then on various sites several times: they may be all taken from nature or some could have been bred.

That being said, the absolute majority of mantis genera have never been bred nor even kept.

Dang you guys. So many cool mantids we don't have. We should all chip in, and send somebody out to collect them for us.

Nope, meaning that they have been kept and breed in captivity. Way more than two specimens...

I thought you were referring to Haania, or Pseudoacanthops. Perfect example of why "common names" suck. Sorry for the confusion.

its my dream to find a knew species.

Latest posts