Mantis bites

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been nibbled, never outright bitten though. It was a wild chinese , and I've never been on the receiving end of aggressive behaviour from my pet mantids.

When ever i get me PW`s out they constanly bend down and chew my finger!

Mine Finnaly hatched!! (Actually, it was 3 days ago, on July 3rd, but I'm just now getting to post.) So I haven't been bitten or nibbled yet, but I know to expect it now.

(A few of them are already starting to act tough, but as soon as they see you arn't intimidated they run.)

siegfried and roy handle my mantises, so i wouldn't know, but roy did say he was bitten once while showboating one of my mantises to a friend

oh now i defiently got bitten to.. she grabbed my finger.. scared the outa me and i swing my arm back, vicious lil thing

Update... :p Well, Larry, our L6 was such a prudent boy! He went to school post molting and allowed my child to handle him no problem. She had really practised handling him and was very excited about the event. I am so proud - she did a complete Q and A session with her grade 1 class with Larry on her hand (and me at home). I think the key to Larry (Chinese) is that he likes to know where he is going and have those gentle hands that he is so familiar with.
Me being new I was wondering something like this. I have 2 wild religios. One I believe to be adult female "wich was my first molt experiance the other day" and another female about half her size. Tonight when I cleaned thier cages, Gumdrop the larger one was on a MISSION very very fast moving. Lollipop on the other hand was content with hanging out. As long as you kept her platform going she would stop and hang and throw her little claws up at you. Soooo My question is, With constant handeling say from birth can you get that "pet" relationship? They seem to have thier own personalities.

Has anyone here received a bite from one of their mantids? They friggin hurt man!! Even a little 30mm long mantid sinking its jaws into your fingers hurts like heck!
Ever heard the terms, "Don't bite the hands that feeds you!"?

Apparently the mantids haven't. Hehe...

I only had one little Chinese mantid which we then named Chewie!!! I began handling him as a nymph right off the back fresh out the egg just about. Well after his first molt when I'd take him out to clean the tanks He just sit on the top side of my hand at first. So, I decided to see if he'd drink off my finger and I think that started it. Anytime he was out on my hand he'd just start nibbling on my finger. I could only feel a little tickling at first. Then he'd chew on anything like my shirt sleeve as he walked up my arm or pant leg if he were just sitting there. I had him on my had during a meeting here at the house one evening and he was just going to town on my finger even just after eating. I then felt a bit more than a tickle and realized that if he kept on he could possible break the skin. From then on I'd put the gloves on. He even chewed on those!! Greedy little dude!!!! He stayed fed too, go figure!!