Mantis breeding questions?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.C.

Reaction score
Hi, I will be getting some Hierodula membranacea mantids here soon. I am curious though  once their mature enough to breed, do they only have to mate once. I read they can have many egg cases. Also, what's the chances the female dies afterwards?

One successful mating is enough to supply a female for the rest of her life, though the number of nymphs hatching will probably decrease with each ooth. If you have a male available you can mate them again after every laid ooth.

Typically yes only once and they will be fertile for the remainder of their life however most breeder's usually try and mate her again after a few ooths to make sure fertility stays up, yes mantids can have many egg cases, i've heard some have had up to 12+ in a females lifespan. Females live 4-8 months after reaching adulthood depending on the mantis species and how warm you keep them and how much food your giving her, she wont simply "die" from just laying a ooth, she will lay a ooth on average every 2-3 weeks after the initial 2-3 week waiting period for the female to fully mature after that last moult to start breeding, some species will lay every week though ^^