Mantis + Dart frog?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosh96

Reaction score
I'm already the proud owner of a blue dart frog named Wendy. And I got to thinking, is there any chance in heck that I can house a small praying mantis species in the same setup as my frog? It's not a must-do, and I certainly won't do it if it negatively affects either animal in ANY way, but I wanted to see what you all thought? For those unfamiliar with dart frogs, the praying mantis would have to be comfortable in nearly 100% humidity, eat fruit flies, and be docile. And small. So what do you think? Is this doable?

heck no! You are crazy to think the mantis won't severely injure your frog

If the mantis is small enough to eat fruit flies its whole life there's a good chance the frog would injure it

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I kinda figured I shouldn't do it but I did think it'd be worth asking. Wendy (my blue dart frog) is practically my pride and joy and I would be devastated if anything were to happen to her. Sorry if that was a stupid question or something.

I know everyone is already saying know, but i would like to share and experience.

I regularly take a walk in the wood and along a path behind my house, i like to count the mantids i see each time.

stumbled across a mantis ( i think L6 tenodera augustopennis ) munching on a leopard frog! nom nom nom!

yeah and an azureus full grown is an active frog and climber it would either injure the mantid or injure the frog causing anything from stress to bacterial infections which kill darts pretty easily.

And if the frog is larger the mantis could just as easily become lunch.

darts have very small mouths.....Youd be suprised that they turn down stuff much larger than a fruit fly. Only Phyllobates can tackle largish prey