Mantis Diarrhea, Please help!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC{}

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new member, and so relieved to find a forum for mantis lovers.

We have a baby Chinese mantis, and he is the sweetest little guy. He is about 3 inches long and maybe 5th or 6th molt but I could be wrong. He has been fed a diet primarily of fruit flies, and we recently introduced store bought crickets. For the last few weeks he has been eating crickets. A few days ago I noticed that his abdomen had a bulgie area, and then he started with loose, watery stools. For the past few days we have been cleaning mantis bum and making sure that he has adequate water- he is very thirsty and we are making sure that he doesn't get dehydrated. He loves my son and will crawl onto my son's hand and lay stretched out- is that normal mantis behavior? Has anyone had watery, loose stool problems, and could anyone offer any advice on what to do? I am wondering if the fruit fly medium might have gone bad, hence the fruit flies were contaminated with something, or if the crickets could have caused this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I'm a new member, and so relieved to find a forum for mantis lovers.

We have a baby Chinese mantis, and he is the sweetest little guy. He is about 3 inches long and maybe 5th or 6th molt but I could be wrong. He has been fed a diet primarily of fruit flies, and we recently introduced store bought crickets. For the last few weeks he has been eating crickets. A few days ago I noticed that his abdomen had a bulgie area, and then he started with loose, watery stools. For the past few days we have been cleaning mantis bum and making sure that he has adequate water- he is very thirsty and we are making sure that he doesn't get dehydrated. He loves my son and will crawl onto my son's hand and lay stretched out- is that normal mantis behavior? Has anyone had watery, loose stool problems, and could anyone offer any advice on what to do? I am wondering if the fruit fly medium might have gone bad, hence the fruit flies were contaminated with something, or if the crickets could have caused this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome. We have an introductions forum too.

Pet store crickets are often inferior. I suggest if you have no choice but to use them that you feed them a good diet of mixed leafy greens, dog food, etc. for several days before feeding them to your mantis. Crickets in general are fine as feeders as long as they are well cared for and from a reputable source.

Thanks for responding. Little Mantie went downhill rapidly today, no interest in food at all, and very weak. He will take a little water from my son's hand, but that's about it, and he just wants to be held. It's heartbreaking. I wish I knew what we did wrong on all of this and what brought the decline on. :(

Welcome. We have an introductions forum too.

Pet store crickets are often inferior. I suggest if you have no choice but to use them that you feed them a good diet of mixed leafy greens, dog food, etc. for several days before feeding them to your mantis. Crickets in general are fine as feeders as long as they are well cared for and from a reputable source.

Latest posts