Mantis Diet - fish lizards birds and mice

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your new here so I'll give you that you don't know the fact that mantis don't breathe through their head area, they have a simple lung in their abdominal cavity and most have a mono ear down there also. ;)

They don't have teeth either, but if you could get a shot of one holding a toothbrush in one raptor and a blow drier in the other, now that would be artsy. :tooth: :D
That's awesome. Although, I feel stupid for not knowing that, since I've been into insects for so long. Maybe now I will shoot the video again. That would be super cool if it was hanging upside down under water and caught a fish.

That is a no no in the UK, we have the animal welfare act. Here we can not feed live verterbrates to inverterbrates but we can the other way round. I believe it is all to do with the central nervous system and not causing unnecessary suffering. Verterbrates must be killed by a prescribed method.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a no no in the UK, we have the animal welfare act. Here we can not feed live verterbrates to inverterbrates but we can the other way round. I believe it is all to do with the central nervous system and not causing unnecessary suffering. Verterbrates must be killed by a prescribed method.
Fascinating. Are live mice allowed to be fed to snakes? Can a cat owner be prosecuted if his cat catches a mouse and plays with it before killing it? Is a hunter fined if he merely wounds a rabbit or partridge, causing it to suffer until he can reach it? Is there a specified time in which a caught fish is allowed to gasp out of water before being killed? England is the country of my birth; has the RSPCA gone barmy?

Fascinating. Are live mice allowed to be fed to snakes? Can a cat owner be prosecuted if his cat catches a mouse and plays with it before killing it? Is a hunter fined if he merely wounds a rabbit or partridge, causing it to suffer until he can reach it? Is there a specified time in which a caught fish is allowed to gasp out of water before being killed? England is the country of my birth; has the RSPCA gone barmy?
No live foods can be fed to snakes legally in the UK. You can be prosecuted. Pitting verterbrates against each other in enclosed spaces is spelt out as causing suffering, we use frozen mice, rats etc. This is a law. I am not up on how it applies to fishing and hunting but if someone saw you cause unnecsesary suffering with thses activities you could be prosecuted. Certainly fox hunting has come under these bans. I personally believe the protection of animals to prevent unnecessary suffering in the UK is a sign of a civilised society not barminess.

I have not watched this video. Similarly I did not open the mantis zombie video. There are a lot of videos of animals being pitted against each other in confined spaces for entertainment on the web and they are not for me.

its a shame some people put animals ahead of humans in the scheme of things but who is to argue with the so called progress!

its a shame some people put animals ahead of humans in the scheme of things but who is to argue with the so called progress!
Who does that? Preventing unnecessary animal suffering is not putting animals ahead of humans.

Every now and again i'll feed mine a small lizard because he eats the whole thing, bones and all.

I personally see nothing wrong with it.

No live foods can be fed to snakes legally in the UK. You can be prosecuted. Pitting verterbrates against each other in enclosed spaces is spelt out as causing suffering, we use frozen mice, rats etc. This is a law. I am not up on how it applies to fishing and hunting but if someone saw you cause unnecsesary suffering with thses activities you could be prosecuted. Certainly fox hunting has come under these bans. I personally believe the protection of animals to prevent unnecessary suffering in the UK is a sign of a civilised society not barminess.

I have not watched this video. Similarly I did not open the mantis zombie video. There are a lot of videos of animals being pitted against each other in confined spaces for entertainment on the web and they are not for me.
That is interesting, though I'm surprised the snakes don't want live prey the way mantids want live prey.

Latest posts