Mantis Drawings

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gripen

Reaction score
Hey folks!

In this thread I hope to document my mantis drawings. I plan to do a drawing once or twice a week and I plan to document each image in various stages of completeness.

In this first drawing I am trying to get used to drawing mantids from different angles. I want to really focus on the positioning of the legs and abdomen. I also really want to work on scale, making sure the head and raptors are the right size. So far what I have is a black an white sketch of a Deroplatys lobata (based on an image by orionmystery). I plan on adding color and shading.

deroplatys lobata 1.pdf

Attachments

• deroplatys lobata 1.pdf
    945.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
Good lord I cant for the life of me get pictures attached to my post. Anyone know how to do it?

click edit and click "use full editor" and click "attach files" and add the photo

Really nice! I made a huge poster and drew and colored myself an identification guide of all deroplatys species a few weeks ago

Here is the final product with color. I want to work on more clarity in the drawing and improve how I do texture.

deroplatys lobata 2 (2).jpg

Really nice! Soo many different parts... Great detail. Have you been drawing mantids for awhile?

My mantis drawings are confined to doodles on my notes when I get bored in class. :)

Really nice! Soo many different parts... Great detail. Have you been drawing mantids for awhile?

My mantis drawings are confined to doodles on my notes when I get bored in class. :)
Drawing yes, mantids no ;)

Next one Sphodropoda (Photo from Henry) playing with perspective.

Sphodropoda 1-002.jpg

Latest posts