Mantis eating before molting?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemsonfight

Reaction score
Last night I found the tinest cricket I've ever seen in my room, in our kitchen sink. Well I figured it would be a nice treat for my P. Wahlbergii (which was L3 or 4 at the time). Anyway I put it in there.

When I came back this morning, the cricket was gone (no way it escaped), AND on top of that my mantis had moulted, its skin was hanging from the old saxophone reed I had put in there for it to hang from (yeah I am a band dork lol) and the P. Wahlbergii's legs are now turning white and very banded, so i KNOW it moulted.

But I've always heard mantids wont eat the day before a moult? Anybody know anything about this? I know it moulted, its skin is there, and there is a drastic difference from last night in color lol.

before molt snack i guess :roll: the caresheets are i think... could be wrong... a guideline so that people dont get worried when say their mantis stops eating 3 nights before a molt it varrys for example ive seen some chinese mantids outside my house that are way bigger than the ones that i raised. so its possible that the mantis just got hungry before its molt.

I've seen them eat before moulting. Generally they don't but sometimes they do. What you saw is not really unusual.

by the way, the first post should say "in my house, in my kitchen sink." not in my room lol.

Latest posts