Mantis eating behavior after laying eggs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoar

Reaction score
My female Limbata Mantis just laid eggs early this morning. Hours after she was done laying, I threw a cricket in to feed her, but she's refused to eat it, let alone go after it. I was just wondering if this was a normal behavior after laying eggs, that they lose their appetite, or if there is a need to be concerned about her not eating right away.

There is really no need to be worried, some species' females eat right after and others will defend their freshly laid ooth for a day (or a couple) ......she just (basically) gave birth so she needs some time to recooperate...take the cricket out so it doesn't stress her and see how she does in a day or so...

All the best,

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if she's stressed or not. With that being said, it seems that she's not even paying attention to the cricket, she's pretty stationary. So should I still take the cricket out to be safe to not stress her out?

is she staying close to her ooth? Mommas seem to protect their ooths for a couple of days from potential predators. probably while the ooth is hardening. I have noticed a few of my moms straight up refuse food for the sake of protecting their babies. Once the ooth gets a bit hard they will move on and start eating again and fatten up for the next ooth. Take out that cricket, unless you want him to start munching on the ootheca.

She laid the ooth right as we were transferring her to a new tank, She walked away from the ooth after 8 hours and thats when we decided it was okay to move them both, was this a bad call?

she is definitely refusing food, a cricket walked right up to her and tickled her with his antannae before walking off.

She was pretty close to it hours after she laid her ooth, but then wandered away from it. We transferred her to a new tank, and refused to eat. She even refused to eat in her old tank, so I'm assuming she's just trying to rest and recoup after last night.

There is no guarding behavior.

Most mantids in my experience eat right after since the act is energy intensive. Give her a day or two and see what happens.

Yeah, that's the plan. It's only been a day since she's laid her eggs. I'll try feeding her later and see what happens, and go from there.

There is no guarding behavior.

Most mantids in my experience eat right after since the act is energy intensive. Give her a day or two and see what happens.
Tell that to my mantis moms. All of them protect their ooth for a day or two before they start eating for me. Consistently. Im not trying to start anything. But i disagree. From observation of my gravid females, they consistently wait a day or two before they eat the food.

All is well now, she's had her fill on two crickets throughout today. Thank you for the head's up, and the info, I appreciate it :3

Tell that to my mantis moms. All of them protect their ooth for a day or two before they start eating for me. Consistently. Im not trying to start anything. But i disagree. From observation of my gravid females, they consistently wait a day or two before they eat the food.
Most likely it is that the mantids are in an enclosure and cannot stray far from the ooth. I have never witnessed such behavior in all the years of doing this. Every female I ever had quickly snatched up food after laying an ooth. I did a quick literature search and cannot find any papers on mantis ootheca guarding.

My Mantis was kind of skittish, so to speak, and stayed near the ooth, but never defended it. Eventually she just started to wander about her enclosure as if she didn't lay anything, so reading this is pretty informative, thanks :3

Most likely it is that the mantids are in an enclosure and cannot stray far from the ooth. I have never witnessed such behavior in all the years of doing this. Every female I ever had quickly snatched up food after laying an ooth. I did a quick literature search and cannot find any papers on mantis ootheca guarding.
If you want to witness a mantis guarding her ooth, then you should keep an adult female D lobata, the girl will sit on it for several days; now i did not attempt to feed her while ahe was guarding so she didn't get stressed out, i waited til she moved away from it then fed her (four days later)

If you want to witness a mantis guarding her ooth, then you should keep an adult female D lobata, the girl will sit on it for several days; now i did not attempt to feed her while ahe was guarding so she didn't get stressed out, i waited til she moved away from it then fed her (four days later)
Not saying it doesn't happen, but I have never seen it. Nor can I find anything in the literature. I am just skeptical is all. I think in many cases the mantis just stays near the ooth because making the ooth is probably exhausting and energy intensive so the mantis doesn't want to move and waste energy. I think it would be easy to confuse that for guarding.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but I have never seen it. Nor can I find anything in the literature. I am just skeptical is all. I think in many cases the mantis just stays near the ooth because making the ooth is probably exhausting and energy intensive so the mantis doesn't want to move and waste energy. I think it would be easy to confuse that for guarding.
I think it's guarding because my moms swat flies away when they are near the ooth for a couple of days. and the breeding egg laying enclosure I have them in is a 5 gallon tank so there's plenty of room for them to move if they want to.

Nikki Mantis (female Chinese) deposited two ooths last night. My first. I studied her behavior closely for a few hours after the event. For the first 90 minutes or so, she remained very still. Once she gained some strength and began to move a bit (this all occured on a large desk lampshade - her favorite perch), I decided to mist next to her. Her response to the H2O was immediate and almost deperate. She drew the water aggressively from the wet cloth. I put the spritzer nozzle up to her mouth and carefully squeezed out one drop. She drank is instantly from the nozzle. I continued this for about five full minutes. So, at least in this instance, the mantis was very dehydrated from the oothing experience - which is understandable. After she was hydrated, her demeanor was excellent and she accepted a handfed cricket and ate madly.

I think it's guarding because my moms swat flies away when they are near the ooth for a couple of days. and the breeding egg laying enclosure I have them in is a 5 gallon tank so there's plenty of room for them to move if they want to.
Mantises will also swat prey items or catch than drop them when they aren't hungry. It could be that some mantises just have a longer recovery time and tend to relax near the ootheca while they recover. Most of my girls spend at least some time recovering their energy hanging near their ooth after finishing the process. Like Rick however I have never witnessed any guarding behavior.

It could be that mantids are naturally more defensive post laying an ooth (like how they get defensive pre molt or before laying an ooth), so it looks like the mantis is defending the ooth, but really she's not. I don't know, just a guess.