Mantis eats Anole

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mvalenz

Reaction score
Well, the pet store has been out of crix for a week now and they say they may not get any for a while. I'm almost out of roaches, so I went to the pet store to find my girl something to eat. I came across this Anole and figured she could take it. I placed them on my table and what transpired was this:

http://youtu.be/Qwt06Y4kqGQ

I have heard of them running across each other in the wild, so I figured why not.

It makes me sad.

If it happens in the wild, that is one thing, but I couldn't make it happen under my roof.

I would only do this if I were desparate for feeders and I would certainly crush its brain first.

I end up killing one every once in a while if my cat is playing with one and it is mortally wounded. :(

I would never want to be alive and awake to experience my disembowelment.

Last edited by a moderator:
holy mantis! awww poor anole ouch. she is really strong. i did not know mantids could digest anoles, obviously they can handle most anything

Mercifully it is illegal in the UK to cause unnecessary suffering to animals.

its illegal in the states to cause "unnecessary harm" to animals as well. he wasnt doing anything... an animal killed and ate another animal! which happens all over the world. this is a rough topic, everyone has an opinion.

I'm guessing you guys aren't allowed to keep reptiles and feed them live food then. and I'm guessing you're all vegetarians since slaughterhouses seem to be illegal too. Do you arrest wild hawks as well?

What was shown in the video was not cruelty. He fed his mantis, which needs to eat. Just like you and I.

It wouldn't have bothered me a bit if the mantis, or someone, could have dispatched the lizard a bit sooner.

I feed live and dead mice and rats to my snake, but she kills quick.

I don't have a problem with the video, I just couldn't enjoy it, or do the same thing.

It only made me sad and I voiced my opinion.

It wouldn't have bothered me a bit if the mantis, or someone, could have dispatched the lizard a bit sooner.

I feed live and dead mice and rats to my snake, but she kills quick.

I don't have a problem with the video, I just couldn't enjoy it, or do the same thing.

It only made me sad and I voiced my opinion.
everyone is entitled to their opinion. although i find the video very interesting, i dont know if i would do this if i got desperate enough for feeders. i saw a video of a mantis catching and eating a hummingbird and it broke my heart. but like i said, its the circle of life

everyone is entitled to their opinion. although i find the video very interesting, i dont know if i would do this if i got desperate enough for feeders. i saw a video of a mantis catching and eating a hummingbird and it broke my heart. but like i said, its the circle of life
I wouldn't feed lizards. I would feed feeder goldfish though if I was short on food.

I would have no problem trying out smaller finishable fish, like guppies. :)

Then I would give the mantis a nice bath. I don't want them to smell like they were out fishing all day.

I don't like to see any waste of life if I can help it. Smaller = finished, usually.

Latest posts