Mantis feeding problem...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anleoflippy

Reaction score
Ok here how it is...

I got 2 mantises...

A Chinese Mantis and a Giant Malaysian Mantis...

My Chinese Mantis is doing fine as you can see...

IMG_1383.jpg

But the problem is My Giant Malaysian Mantis...

For some reason it doesn't like to eat insect or not comfortable with insects...

It only eats when I give him flesh or meat like Lizards...

As you can see here, My Mantis ate the head of the lizard, and then the whole body...

IMG_1337.jpg

Its nothing serious really but it is nice to see My Mantis Eat different prey but I have many lizards crawling In My house...

So any Ideas???

Last edited by a moderator:
SEND me some of them thare lizards and I will then give u my expert opinion! ;) And if you can't do that, then I would say, you have spoiled your mantis B)

It would seem your mantis does not like lizards much either considering what is left of it. Why dont you wait a few days before you feed it again and drop in some flies or a grasshopper. If it's hungry enough it will eat them.

It will eat insects just like all other mantids.

I see...

Well thanks for your opinion guys and My Chinese Mantis is eating a dragonfly now... :p

EDIT:Great news guys, just now when I spray water on the floor, my Hierodula Trimaculata (Malaysian mantis) was drinking like crazy, then when I put a grasshopper in front of my Mantis, a blink of an eye the prey was already in the claws of the mantis... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason that brings to mind a youtube shot i saw a few years back but not of a mantid eating a lizard but a mouse!!!! Just the odd things those dudes can take on! :eek:

Maybe he feels he's lacking some kind of nutrient that isn't in the insects. Try gut loading the insects then feed them to him and see if he goes for it then. I just wonder what nutrient lizard head has that the body doesn't :) Maybe it's the brains he's after, kinda like monkey brain being a delicacy. You must have a royal mantis there, a royal pain in the a$... ;)

I know that when I'm lacking some nutrient, my body automatically craves something that has it.