Mantis in a box - 6 days without water and food. Help.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlanthyda

Reaction score
Hello

Me and my friend decided to try rising a mantis even though we are total noobs in this matter. We ordered a L4 orchid mantis through the internet (it's quite possible that we were fooled and it's actually below L4), however the guy from whom we bought it didn't inform us that the mantis was sent, and the mail man failed at bringing it at my friend's house... and I don't really have time for this story. The outcome was that the mantis spent a whole 6 days at the mail office - in a box, without water, food and fresh air. 

We were actually surprised it was still alive. It was exhaused and had its limbs tangled in molt - the mantis ate it later, after it got some fresh water and food (some mealworms and ant food dissolved in water) 

Even though it's now noticeably more energetic than it was at first, the mantis doesn't seem to be able to walk. It lays on its side for most of the time, but tries really hard to get up. Also it eats a lot but can't move its legs nor "hands" in coordinated way so must be fed by someone. 

The question is - what else can we do. How bad might be the damage and how can we help it molt since it can't move. Also - is there any chance it's going to be healthy ever again? Or is it just slowly dying? 

Picture 1 was taken soon after it got home (legs stuck in molt). The 2 and 3 show how it's getting better i think... is it?  

Pardon my english and sorry if i broke any rule. Im new here. 

Edit: i forgot to mention - we got the mantis yesterday.

35544802_1078764585595757_5304907084465176576_n.jpg

35529652_1078792812259601_5250326356599767040_n.jpg

35652314_1079416632197219_3833507986718851072_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your mantis mismolted unfortunately and it will stay that way until it molts again but it looks pretty alert in that last photo so there may be hope of recovery. It is possible to hand feed a deformed mantis and get it to it's next molt, many of us have done it successfully. You will need to help it molt when the time comes by tacking the back legs to the lid of its container with a small amount of tape. Put something soft like moss on the bottom of the container and watch closely to assist if it runs into trouble. 

Besides mealworms you can also try feeding it other insects like fruit flies or small houseflies or moths. If the insect is too big you can cut it into pieces. Then just hold a section with bug guts coming out up to your mantis's mouth and it should recognize it as food and start eating. Good luck and if you need any help just ask.

Also, use raw unfiltered honey mixed with a small amount of water instead of the ant food (which is basically sugar I think.) Honey is beneficial to mantises and can really perk them up if sick or exhausted. You can feed straight honey to an older mantis but it's too sticky for younger nymphs so you need to mix with water to take away the stickiness.

Your mantis mismolted unfortunately and it will stay that way until it molts again but it looks pretty alert in that last photo so there may be hope of recovery. It is possible to hand feed a deformed mantis and get it to it's next molt, many of us have done it successfully. You will need to help it molt when the time comes by tacking the back legs to the lid of its container with a small amount of tape. Put something soft like moss on the bottom of the container and watch closely to assist if it runs into trouble.
Tape only helps when a mantis already started a molt and fell down during the process. This one is completely done for, no point in prolonging the inevitable really. It has no chance of initiating a molt when it can't even move on the ground.

Poor little mantis mismolted in a box. :( You can only do what the others are advising and if the mantis has the will to stay alive till next molt.

I'm pretty sure this mantis has enough will to stay alive. It's a little fighter. 

So as i understand we are now supposed to wait till the next molt and not do much more except for feeding it? I'm not entirely sure about the idea with tape though. Am i supposed to do this if something goes wrong or actually use this method from the very beggining when i see the molting comming?  Because i kinda doubt it will be even able to start molting by itself... but then again, im a noob. 

Also, it's a REALLY small mantis yet (picture for scale - it was taken yesterday though so doesn't represent how the mantis looks right now). Isn't it too fragile to glue its legs? My friend came up with idea to hook its legs on a net (something like anti-mosquito material or medicat gauze) instead of using tape. Would that be a bad idea? I just want to learn your opinions, we will do as you advise.

By the way, since you guys certainly know much better, does it look like L4 for you? 

(and thank you all for responding!)

35649178_1078748718930677_2474281679418556416_n.jpg

I’ve never dealt with a molt this bad before, but I’m guessing the molt occurred less than ~12 hours before you picked the little guy based on the fact that he was alive.

If he molted soon before you picked him up, (s)he’ll probably molt again within the next 2 weeks, assuming it survives. Your best bet would be to ‘attach’ the mantis to the lid of a habitat around this time. If push comes to shove, however, you may have to pick up and hold your mantis for the entirety of the molt.

A more extreme solution is you and your friend alter your sleep schedules so at least one person is awake at all times. From there, whoever is awake should periodically check on the orchid, probably every hour or so, without stressing the mantis out. The best way to do this would be to have a live camera feed to view the mantis from anywhere. Again, this is a little on the extreme end.

Also, I’ve had two mantids successfully molt on the ground before, once because one molted there for some reason, and another time because it fell and somehow completed its molt on the ground. This is unlikely without the mantis being healthy when initiating the molt, but possible.

By the way, don’t use a plastic or glass habitat at this point. Your mantis will have an easier time gripping cheesecloth or some kind of mesh, especially on the lid.

Sorry about your bad first experience, I hope you choose to continue raising mantids anyway! Good luck with your little orchid!

If you're willing/able to put forth the effort, don't lose all hope yet. Even with my limited experience I've already seen many examples of mantids recovering against all odds... especially if they begin to show interest in eating. :)

Honestly, I believe the owner usually feels worse than the mantis. Keep us posted and if you're able to keep this little guy alive, your experience may save someone else's mantis.

Good luck! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Can your mantis move at all on it's own? Like, can it stay sitting up on it's own without falling over like in that third photo you posted...or does it lay on its side completely paralyzed unless you prop it up with something?

@Atlanthyda I am so sorry you had a mismolt! If you are not an experienced mantis keeper, getting a mismolted mantis through her next molt will raise you higher on the experience list! :)  Feed her honey mixed with a little water via toothpick, and hope and prey for the best! If you have any questions, just ask!

- MantisGirl13

Can your mantis move at all on it's own? Like, can it stay sitting up on it's own without falling over like in that third photo you posted...or does it lay on its side completely paralyzed unless you prop it up with something?
For most of the time it lies on its side and don't make any movements. However often when it's getting feeded it energeticly moves all its legs, most likely trying to get up, but without our help it's very difficult if not impossible. The "tips" of the legs seem to be paralized to me. I also am very disturbed by how they look - seem to have more "knee joints" than there are supposed to be. If it was a human leg, i'd say it looks like it was broken and then badly healed. I hope i'm just overreacting though, my friend claims it doesn't look so bad to him. 

The first picture below was taken yesterday, the legs are clearly visible. The mantis required help to get up though. Also even though i haven't seen it with my own eyes my friend claims that it's capable of walking on a very small distance, which usually happens right after or at time when it gets feeded. But still - for most of the time it lies down at its side.

@Atlanthyda Something else: did you contact the breeder where this mantis came from? Told him/her what happend to your orchid? If yes, what did they say?
Well, the contact with this man was already very limited. He wasn't kind enough to inform us about sending the package nor to respond when we emailed him all worried. I don't think he would be kind enough to give us any tips in this situation either. 

35476016_1079655288840020_4206932891772387328_n.jpg

How is your mantis doing today?
As i mentioned it mostly lies down. However (s)he becomes kind of energetic whenever the feeding time comes (but not only, it seems to be more energetic in general in our opinion).  Most importantly it never refuses to eat and has some really huge appetite. The only problem is its legs which don't allow the mantis stand up without our help. She still tries her best though. 

Tomorrow i will try to make a video showing the kind of movements it makes when getting food (and not only actually) and send it here (if there's such an option).

You should probably look into leaving a review on the seller if you haven't done so already. Since it seems so hard to contact him. 
  Yes, we are planning to do that.

Tomorrow i will try to make a video showing the kind of movements it makes when getting food (and not only actually) and send it here (if there's such an option).
Sounds like progress! ?

If you use YouTube you may need to upload there and share the link, depending on the file size.

I'm glad things are beginning to look up.

Latest posts