Mantis jerks up head when eating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okoboji22

Reaction score
My first mantis sticky legs when eating would sometimes jerk up her head almost like a spasm. I never heard of this anywhere else. Why did she do this?

I noticed mantids do this when they have a single leg in their mouth. I have no idea why

When mine are having working on a small piece of food stuck on their face that they can feel and taste, but can't get their mandibles around, they shake it off as though it were a piece of debris.

When mine are having working on a small piece of food stuck on their face that they can feel and taste, but can't get their mandibles around, they shake it off as though it were a piece of debris.
That's not exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes right after she caught her food and tryed to bite a leg her head wouldn't shake, it would just spasm straight up.

I think she has the right idea for the most apart. Mine do it basically whenever they are trying to get rid of something thats in their mouth. Like a leg, or a wing, or just something that they dont want cause theyd rather get back to the juicey part of the meal. Lol.

Latest posts