Mantis just passed and I have no idea why

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soleilvie

Reaction score
I bought one of those praying mantis pagodas + egg case through Insect Lore which came with very basic care instructions. It basically said to release all but one or two mantises once they hatch then throw in a few fruit flies everyday. I did that and sprayed the pagoda every once in awhile as recommended on a previous thread I started here.

Today the mantis was fairly still and didn't eat any fruit flies so I was pretty sure it was getting ready to molt for the third time. When I came home about 6 hours ago, I noticed it was hanging and looked like it was still in the process of molting (half of the old skin was still attached). I kept watching it every half hour or so and noticed that it was barely moving. I lifted the pagoda up to move it across the room to better light and as I did, the mantis/old exoskeleton fell to the bottom of the pagoda. It hasn't moved and is still is not moving. It's basically curled up (its exoskeleton looks shriveled) and isn't showing any signs of movement. It saddens me to say that my mantis has probably passed... and I have no idea why. Did I not do something correctly? I feel like it's all my fault. :(

Sorry, I just noticed I posted this in the "Food and Feeding" section...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't beat yourself up about this, Eden. Next time, buy about 10 32 oz pots before the ooth hatches, and keep one nymph in each pot. This will greatly improve your odds of growing a few to adulthood, though if they are cChinese, they will need an even larger pot for the last few molts.

Sometimes a nymph just doesn't make it through a molt. Try keeping the nymph a little moister than usual at molting time, and don't disturb it until the molt is finished.

If you have sharper eyes than I, you may be able to find a few of the nymphs that you released into the garden. Good luck!

I am actually planning to go out in the garden tomorrow to look for one that I released. Otherwise, I'll be buying another ooth and starting over again. I think it's a great idea to keep more than one next time.

Thank you. :)

Just a mismolt. Happens from time to time.

No luck finding one that I released so I just ordered another ooth.

Thanks for moving the thread.

Very unlikely you will find a released mantis. Especially if it was a small nymph.

Sorry about your mantis and u probably can't find it cause Rick has it on his pants leg :tt2:

ps, send me a note with 6.50 for shipping if u r in the US and I will send u an ooth!

Well I have an even weirder one. I had a few Chinese and just the other day I found one just dead at the bottom of the tank (plenty of room for molts and more) but her head was totally discoloured as if she had been set on fire. The upper part of the thorax down to just above the abdomen also was discoloured but the rest was normal looking. Then I came in one evening and there she was laying at the bottom of the tank gone. Then right after that another just 'dropped dead" for no apparent reason. She was in perfect condition also and seemed to be a day or so away from molting. So,two mysterious deaths in one weeks time. I know these things just happen but the one with the burned looking head rendered me quite curious about what could "possibly" have happened to her.

You know, I am wondering,. do you guys ever clean out your water sprayers? I do mine and I am just wondering if you are collecting some mold or something in there.
mellow.gif

Latest posts