Mantis mania!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guapoalto049

Reaction score
I've been taking lots of pictures lately, don't know why. It was mantis molt night a few days ago so I've got some nice fresh specimens.

First Violin ootheca (her buddy is carefully watching):

P5260574.jpg

You wonder what it looks like when a mantis is about to shed? Here's a shot 3 hours pre-molt:

P5310583.jpg

End result is an adult Rhombodera basalis!:

P6010584.jpg

My budwing buddies, I think now L5:

P6020585.jpg

Turning it into Chinese food:

P6060588.jpg

R. basalis having filet mignon (badly mismolted Idolo :( ):

P6080589.jpg

L6 female Idolo:

P6080591.jpg

another:

P6080592.jpg

Female violin and Chinese. It is so hard to photograph violins:

P6080593.jpg

Sub female shield and L6 Idolo size comparison:

P6080594.jpg

But wait! There's more!

Idolo ladies:

P6110596.jpg

Fresh adult female shield:

P6110597.jpg

Profile:

P6110615.jpg

L6 Idolo dwarfing female subadult ghost:

P6110606.jpg

Idolo, ghost, shield size comparison:

P6110607.jpg

African chicks:

P6110614.jpg

Asian chicks:

P6110618.jpg

Big green showdown:

P6110621.jpg

R. basalis size:

P6110623.jpg

Ooth #2 on mattress:

P6110619.jpg

hahahaha that one pic of the 3 that are clinging to that net cage, look like something out of the show cops. Your hands would be the cop of course! ;) lol

awesome pictures dude, keep them coming! Everybody could use more and more pictures to just gaze at!! thanks for sharing!

Thanks everyone!

@Brian: They were the usual suspects for Halloween lol

@kitkat: She and the shield could be twins! I have another one just as green, she doesn't stop moving though so its hard to snap a pic.

I'm really surprised at how thick the shield is. Her head and forelegs are noticeably bigger than the Chinese, though she's over 3/4" shorter!

Love the pictures! And the narration for that matter! :lol: That ghost is a crazy pale color!

Beautiful pictures! Your Chinese is so bright and green. :p I also like the size comparison of the 3 of them to your hand.

fantastic . I'm getting a shield mantis as well. But why are they called giant shield mantids if they aren't giant in terms of mantis puportions?

I mean they're pretty big but not as big as chinese

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pics. How did you end up with an ooth on the mattress? :lol:

Always cool to see different species on the same pic :clap:

If the 'Rhombodera basilis' you have is subsequent generation from the stock i brought in back in 2006, it has been tentatively identified as Rhombodera cf. stalli IGM 119 recently, although nothing is confirmed yet.

@Ricardo: maybe the "giant" is referring to the shield. As in mantis with a giant shield, rather than giant mantis with shield. They may not be as long as the Chinese, but I really think they're more beastly. Thicker frame-head, legs, body, everything.

Get a shield they are prob my favorite out of the group.

@Rick: Just what I get when I let a fat girl roam around my room for an hour haha!

@Yen: I am not sure of the IGM # on the Rhombodera, they're from Rebecca's stock. All I know is that I like em!

I'm really getting attatched to my mio's. The size sort of discouraged me at first but they sure are fun and cute!

There's a lot more then meets the eyes ( at first glance ) with the little guys.

Can't wait for the shield mantis though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice pics!!! to bad about the Idolo turning into a feeder, I Hate when that happens, you raise them, care for them, then bam they go all mismolt on you. you wake up look in there and say #*%# :censored: !!!

been there done that. Idolos and Gongy's you gotta love'em. :wacko:

Latest posts