Mantis not eating ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC

Reaction score
My friend owns a chinese mantid nymph, he's had it for about four days. That may not sound long enough to be worrying about feeding but he's panicking a bit. He's used micro crix and a small fly but it is showing no intrest in them it's just hanging to the top of his enclosure. If this is common or uncommon it would be great if someone could help

Thanks

JC

Im sure Rick or Ian could tell what this was straightaway..=)

Its seems unlikely, but it could still be adjusting to the envoirnment, any idea how old it is?

You could always try feeding it yourself, tweezers and some small food. If the food is the problem, bung them in the freezer for five min, this makes them lethargic (tired, basically) this might be more appealing and it should notice a easy meal.

Hope it perks up, over to the experts :wink:

Jonny.

Thanks for the reply.I think it's a level 3 instar and i guess it could be getting used to it surrounding,i'll tell him about the freezing thing.

Thanks agian :wink:

JC

I don't think it needs to get used to the surroundings. A mantis might not eat for the following reasons:

1. Going to molt soon.

2. Already ate too much.

3. Going to die soon.

4. Doesn't like the prey.

5. Maybe more reasons.

To make the mantis eat, you can try putting food near its mouth. It'll start chewing it first, and hopefully it will grab. Sometimes, it helps if you crush some part of the prey so its juices come out. Yumm.

sound delightful,appretiate the help and advice. :D

JC

Latest posts