Mantis on Matrix, 46 Million years old!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganMantisGuy14

Reaction score
Has anyone read about this recent Mantis Fossil being found??? WOW how amazing! wish i could buy that...

Mantis on Matrix'
47 Million years old!

http://www.devoniandepot.com/fossilmantis.htm

Now here is a praying mantis fossil on matrix [in stone].There are pictures of mantids in amber on the internet, but as far as i have seen this is the only complete praying mantis fossil on matrix.
This was found in Colorado at the Green River formation, which is the resulting deposits of an ancient lake that covers parts of Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming during the Eocene. The fossils represented here are insects from the Parachute member of the Green River formation,
46 Million years old, from the Hawes Quarry in Rio Blanco County, Colorado.

Could this be a mantidfly?
Probably likely. It doesn't really look right for a mantis. But the green river formation yields some really cool fossils.

So Praying Mantis haven't evolved in the last 46 million year?

Phylogeny Scientists speculate based on fossilized evidence that stick insects ( which Mantis are in that Order) started mimicking plants when flowering plants first diversified widely, sprouting bark and twigs in the "great angiosperm radiation"

about 100 million years ago...

And I'm sure the Paleoentomologist at

Green River fossil dig site have a great perspective on what they'er look at.??

Here's another discovery back from 2008 in Japan:

"Missing Link" Oldest Mantis Fossil Discovered >

By Dan Talpalariu

The recently uncovered 87-million-year-old specimen of praying mantis is believed to be the "missing link" between the giant Cretaceous mantises and today's similar insects. While this is acknowledged to be truly a rare find, the importance of this discovery is yet to be evaluated. The fossil insect is 1.4 cm (0.5 inch)-long and was found by the director of the Kuji Amber Museum, Kazuhisa Sasaki, in January. It was lying buried about 2 meters (more than 6 feet) under the surface of an amber mine in Japan

Now that's cool to be able to find Ancient praying mantis like that?????

So Praying Mantis haven't evolved in the last 46 million year?

Phylogeny Scientists speculate based on fossilized evidence that stick insects ( which Mantis are in that Order) started mimicking plants when flowering plants first diversified widely, sprouting bark and twigs in the "great angiosperm radiation"

about 100 million years ago...

And I'm sure the Paleoentomologist at

Green River fossil dig site have a great perspective on what they'er look at.

Here's another discovery back from 2008 in Japan:

"Missing Link" Oldest Mantis Fossil Discovered >

By Dan Talpalariu

The recently uncovered 87-million-year-old specimen of praying mantis is believed to be the "missing link" between the giant Cretaceous mantises and today's similar insects. While this is acknowledged to be truly a rare find, the importance of this discovery is yet to be evaluated. The fossil insect is 1.4 cm (0.5 inch)-long and was found by the director of the Kuji Amber Museum, Kazuhisa Sasaki, in January. It was lying buried about 2 meters (more than 6 feet) under the surface of an amber mine in Japan

Now that's cool to be able to find Ancient praying mantis like that???
Nobody said they didn't. I just am not so sure this particular Green River fossil is a mantis. Mantids from the Cretaceous looked like mantids today generally.

Last edited by a moderator:
See the problem with this is that's' ok if you think it is 6 million or so years old, but God created everything in a week, and so unless it's from somewhere else, say Mars maybe and fell to the earth, well it still could not be that old. As I said Michigan it is ok for you to believe that, but be it not so!

Now after giving you all the Sunday sermon, I should point out that it definitely looks to be mantis with those eyes. So it could just be from the beginning, So let it be!

Man conceived time, so maybe God just took his merry time and it was actually millions of years as opposed to supposed days.

Man has created thus "flawed" timeline. It was quite some time in coming, as some people "believe" people lived for hundreds of years a long,long time ago.

Just saying.

See the problem with this is that's' ok if you think it is 6 million or so years old, but God created everything in a week, and so unless it's from somewhere else, say Mars maybe and fell to the earth, well it still could not be that old. As I said Michigan it is ok for you to believe that, but be it not so!

Now after giving you all the Sunday sermon, I should point out that it definitely looks to be mantis with those eyes. So it could just be from the beginning, So let it be!
Let's not turn this into a religious debate.

Latest posts