Mantis religiosa

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitsune_Gem

Reaction score
So I found another Mantis religiosa, and I wanted to know the gender of this one as well.

Also, just wondering, does anyone have a really good care sheet on them? That ranges from general care, housing, feeding, breeding, health concerns, ect?

I don't plan on keeping these ones since they are wild, they are going back to their homes in a few days.

But in the future I was thinking of getting some and maybe breeding them. Not 100% breeding is something I would do, but I would like to know all the facts I can before I make a decision

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

This ones a lot calmer, and not as aggressive towards me as the other three, its kinda funny,

That mantid of yours is a female. The only tough part about this species (in my view) is caring for the babies when they hatch from the ooth. Also, just because it's wild doesn't mean you have to release it. If you have an interest in mantids, just keep it to get experience. And one last thing, feed that female mantid lots and lots of food. It's abdominal width has the potential to double or triple.

Trust me.. Ive got plenty of food...I breed and raise bearded dragons.. Ive got crickets, super worms, roaches, and other feeders that I can supply for food.

But what type of set up do they need? Temps? Humidity? Screen or glass cage?

I got some experience in keeping this species since it's the only one i ever kept besides a male Iris Oratoria i found some weeks ago. The females won't think twice in attacking and devouring creatures of their own size. They are extremely voracious and they eat a lot, and when i say a lot it's a LOT. Males use to be more nervous and don't eat as often, i give them a grasshopper every 2 days and they won't even finish their meal.

In terms of enclosures, try using something soft like net cages because they use to bump a lot towards the walls and they'll get those dark spots on their eyes if the enclosure has a hard surface.

As a Temperate species the Mantis Religiosa can tolerate a wide range of temperatures, from 10 to 35 degrees Celsius so that's not a problem. Non-adult mantises should have some humidity like 70º or so for easy molting. When adults, humidity is not a worry anymore. If enough food is given they can live in completely dry enclosures. You can always give them water but they'll probably refuse it. If there's a food shortage or no food at all, then water is advised.

The only problem however, as Ntsees said, is keeping the babies as they die in large numbers. This year was the 1st time i tried having Mantis Religiosa since their birth. I failed, every baby died and only one ooth in 5 hatched releasing only about 2 dozens of them. That's the tough part, the rest is really easy.

Latest posts