Mantis sexing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdawg

Reaction score
Probably still too early to sex an L3 Egyptian, but on the off chance there are some indicators for the experts on this forum, please take a moment to see if there is anything there that could give a clue. https://anonimage.net/image/Ma6Ah3nMQ

Pretty sure it’s still too early. Give them one more molt and they will start developing their reproductive parts. I see 6 segments but it is really hard to tell and is too early for the segment counting to even work..

Connors right, while true experts can tell them apart at l2 and l3, this requires much more advanced tech. And also, the reason you can't tell their sex this young is that their abdominal segments haven't fused into their final look yet. I tried sexing a rhombodera at l3 and was slightly disheartened as I thought for sure that the fact that it had more than 6 segments at that age ment male but low and behold it molted into l4 and its segments had fused into six making it a clear female.

Connors right, while true experts can tell them apart at l2 and l3, this requires much more advanced tech. And also, the reason you can't tell their sex this young is that their abdominal segments haven't fused into their final look yet. I tried sexing a rhombodera at l3 and was slightly disheartened as I thought for sure that the fact that it had more than 6 segments at that age ment male but low and behold it molted into l4 and its segments had fused into six making it a clear female.
There's difference between the 2 I have, but I'm just being impatient. How many molts before the final subadult, then adult molt?

There's difference between the 2 I have, but I'm just being impatient. How many molts before the final subadult, then adult molt?
If I had to take my best guess I would say the one in the picture is male but be warned I could definently be wrong

If I had to take my best guess I would say the one in the picture is male but be warned I could definently be wrong
Thanks. I know there are no absolutes when dealing with the sexing of nymphs. Can give a rough idea though. 

The point is that you can’t tell. The nymphs Don’t even have their end abdomen segments fused yet(male ‘gains’ an extra, female ‘loses’ one).

The point is that you can’t tell. The nymphs Don’t even have their end abdomen segments fused yet(male ‘gains’ an extra, female ‘loses’ one).
I know now, but I was asking hypothetically, as I've stated there are no absolutes, I can however learn all I can about identifying and watch the segments develop after each molt. So when they do fuse, I'll have a better idea thanks to all the input from you guys. 

EF1E9E90-5152-49C7-BB25-896315A7AEFA.jpegHere’s a helpful pic 

Latest posts