Mantis silhouette & fall colors

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summerbug

Reaction score
I found a bunch of these BIG (4.5 inch plus) T. sinensis in the meadows along the Appalachian Trail (in Virginia)

Echo.jpg

Back in mid-October, I took them into my home and measured them with a ruler.  I have never seen them more than 4 inches long in the past.  I was shocked that 2 of them topped out at 4.5 inches and the others were between 4 and 4.5 inches.  It must have been an exceptional summer for finding food!  I've been collecting them since 1998 and have never seen them so huge.  The ones here in the suburbs are nowhere near that size!  I find them in the meadows and along firebreaks.  I go during "ideal conditions."  Cool nights and sunny days that reach the 70s.  If the days are too warm, I don't seem to find them. If it is too cool or over cast, I don't find them. I see them close to the ground hunting along the edges of the grasses or sunning. I don't go into the tall weeds (because I don't want to get ticks). I don't find them at all in summer.  September and October are the best times.

Latest posts